What's new
What's new

Hs-1rp

Ox

Diamond
Hs1-rp

What's the lowdown on these things?

I recall that the early ones supposedly didn't have enough clamp force on the pallet, and you could unseat it with a heavy push near the top of the Y travel, but the story was that they got that fixed for later models.

No?

These things are plentifull and may fit my needs just fine. ???

I see that the HS-1 machines have 18 x 18 travels, while the HS-1R (RP) machines have 20 x 24 travels. As far as the pallet issue goes - is it safe to ass_u_me that the issue would be on the HS-1 machines?

Any other issues with these things?

Doo they just not have much re-sale value b/c they are a Horizontal, and most shops buying a Haas, would be more comfortable with a vertical?

Doo the pallets repeat good?

Chip problems?

Coolant problems?
Enough?
All over the floor?

How about that tool changer?
Any trouble with tools just falling out of it?
Chip issues?

You CAN rotate the pallet in the load position right?
Motorized, or manual, or ???

Chip conveyor/screw/whatnot efficient enough?

What else?

Oh - What exactly is the diff in the 3 models?
Even the HS-1 seems to have pallets and a B axis, so ????
I have seen a video of an HS-1 with a side mount toy changer
And all the vids/pics that I have seen of the R/RP models all have a carousel.
????

------------------------------

I am Ox and I want to know!

I've had one for not quite a year, so I'm hardly the expert.

Ours is a HS1RP with 15k RPM, TSC, and 60 tool side changer, 2003 so it's a late one. Positioning only on the 4th. Generally I'm pleased with it. We cut almost exclusively aluminum parts for what that's worth. Blistering fast it's not.

We had some toolchanger parts that needed rebuild when we got it, but that was straightforward and the changer has worked well since. Surface finish is nothing to brag about. Ours doesn't have HSM and surfacing code with a lot of short segments doesn't give good finishes. Code with heavy filtering applied runs OK.

Pallets seem to repeat fine. No noticable issues. Our parts are commonly .0025+/- and we can stay inside that. Chip control is acceptable, but not stellar. Augers won't handle a lot of chips at a time, so we let them run continuously. Screen between auger and coolant trough stops up easily with fine aluminum chips. Steel chips don't seem to give as much problem. Coolant volume is sufficient, 55(?) gal tank is entirely too small. You can rotate the pallet manually in the load position.

Toolchanger is some sensitive to having enough air volume. Tools won't extract from the tool chain if flow is insufficient. This will apply to 60 and 120 changers only. Really surprised by the high air consumption by tool changer and pallet system.

For the price, I'd buy it again right now.

Back