What's new
What's new

Problem with error / alarm 163 (Z axis drive fault) on 2001 VF3 after transport

colby

Aluminum
We are trying to set up a used 2001 VF3 that we received and are running into some problems. The machine was checked out before transport by our machinery dealer and a Haas tech and everything was fine. At our location we removed the blocking on the Z-axis and applied air and power. The machine boots up with an error code 102, and when we hit the power up restart we get an error code 163 (Z-axis drive fault). . It doesn't sound like the machine is trying to move at all though. The lights on the servo drive boards are all normal as is the 325VDC and +/- 12VDC servo supplies. Is there some other lock on the Z-axis during shipping? Was the Z-axis maybe lowered to the point of hitting some limit switch which is causing this error code? If so, how do I get the machine to move the Z-axis up again? I'm not sure if this machine uses a nitrogen counter balance, but maybe the pressure is low? I'm new to these machines, so I'm hoping this is just something simple that I'm missing.

Colby

You should have a nitrogen counter balance so look for the gauge on the left or right side of the column in the rear. I think the VF-3 should be a 1100psi.

You can move the Z axis without a home by going into setting graphics and changing "Jog Without Zero Home" from no to yes. Be careful in this mode as you can hit hard stops and damage the machine.

Check for damage from strapping etc on the top of the machine.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any signs of the counterbalance or its gauge on the rear or side of the machine. Looking down the Z-axis from the top, I just see the motor, ball screw, and a pair of rails. I guess the gas cylinder could be below somewhere, but I can't see it.

I had found the "Jog Without Zero Home" from another post. It doesn't seem to help in that when I try to jog the same 163 error comes up. If I try to do it before the power up restart (when I only have error 102), then I get a "servos are off" message instead, but no movement in either case.

Everything seems intact, and there are no fault lights on any of the servos. I would try swapping one of the servo amplifiers, but it appears that the Z drive is a larger unit than the others.

I spoke to the local HFO, and it turns out my old machine has some newer features on it. One of them is that it doesn't have the gas counterbalance. Instead it has an oversized servo drive amplifier so that it can move the Z-axis without any help. I also have an A-axis for a HRT-210, so I tried swapping Z with that (even though it is a smaller unit, like X and Y). When I do, everything seems to work, so it looks like a bad servo drive, although I can't see why that would die just from being moved from Southern to Northern California on an air ride trailer. The drive itself does not indicate a fault via the red LED, but the controller says error 163.

I would check things like wrong initial voltages etc.

In the end, send the drive for repair and go on with life! :)

If you need a place to send it let me know.

Mike

I would check things like wrong initial voltages etc.

In the end, send the drive for repair and go on with life! :)

If you need a place to send it let me know.

Mike

I already spent some time with the drive apart (I'm a EE by trade). I don't see anything obvious on visual inspection of the board. I'd love to fix it myself, but I think I would end up sinking a lot of time just learning the ins and outs of the design. There is definitely something about the Z-axis that is taking a fair bit of current - I just don't know if that is normal or not. The original larger 4017C amplifier is complaining with alarm 163 about overcurrent. My X, Y, and A axes use 4015P-B amplifiers and the A seems to work fine for startup and basic jogging up and down. I had an extra 4015R Rev G amplifier that I tried using and the 15A fuse blew on that one during the power up restart, so I know it needs more than 15A. The 4017C uses 20A. Strangely, the 4015P-B that works also uses 15A. I wonder if the different versions have different gain parameters that might affect the peak currents? In any case I wouldn't expect to be blowing any fuses for this slow of a motion. I have to wonder if the 4015P-B amp won't work for very long either. BTW, I checked the impedance of the A-B B-C A-B leads to the Z motor - all seem equal at about 0.80 ohms.

Back