What's new
What's new

Realistic power requirements Haas VF2

baran3

Cast Iron
What are the realistic power requirements for a Haas VF2 standard with 8,100 or 10K in line direct drive spindle. Haas website lists 100A. I have a Doosan DNM 400 that is listed as 100A as well. I run it off a 20HP Phase Pefect and have a 60 AMP 3 phase breaker running to the machine. The phase perfect is a pretty standard setup that a lot of people on here probably have experience with so what are your actual experiences and setups. How many Haas machines (other machines) are you running simultaneously? What is the actual power required from your actual experiences.

The voltage is 240 3 phase. The tag on the cabinet says the largest load is 35 amps. I think the Haas website tends to really over rate the amp draw. If you had every possible option on the machine I wonder if you could ever reach 100 amps.

I also have a VF3 that draws the same 40 amps. Both machines have a 20 HP spindle. I don't know if that is the same on yours.

Thanks, I don't have the machine just looking for actual power draw. Looking at buying one and need to know for my phase converter situation. As I said I have a Doosan and it's listed on machine as 100A just like Haas website but they are obviously some extreme overrated number. My Doosan is running off a 60 AMP breaker never an issue.

Thanks, I don't have the machine just looking for actual power draw. Looking at buying one and need to know for my phase converter situation. As I said I have a Doosan and it's listed on machine as 100A just like Haas website but they are obviously some extreme overrated number. My Doosan is running off a 60 AMP breaker never an issue.

60 amp single phase?

We have three phase and every Haas in the shop is either 40 or 60 amp. 100 sounds to high. Look in the cabinet at the internal breaker and go with it.
Regards

FWIW, the new haas machines with the standard 8100 rpm spindles are direct drive like the SS machines. The older belt drive machines have a lower nameplate rating. I think the motors on the new spindles are 30 haaspower. Might want to compair with someone with an SS machine to be sure.

I have a VF2SS that I am running from a 70A breaker (3PH). The machine breaker is 80A. I just bought another VF2SS and am in the process of wiring the shop to accommodate. While we were planning this, we measured the current draw while milling (1"EM, 0.1DOC, 70IPM, 3400RPM, 4140 Rc30) and the current was never more than around 20-23A. I never saw any 'spikes' when the motor ran up, but that may be because the spindle runs up faster than the meter can update the reading. If the 80A breaker on the machine were to ever trip I couldn't imagine it would be anything else other than some kind of internal fault/short.

Back