What's new
What's new

TM2 won't run

TimH

Hot Rolled
Its a 2006 model. I run my shop part time now. The machine has been running much. Tonight I start it this is as far as the machine got on the first start up:

Loading Systme to RAM (1Sec)
Initializing Control
Zero Uninitialized Data
BBU OK MEM found
Rom OK 16M found
Ram OK 64M found
Moving Stack, launching app.
Launching Application

Warning- Low Battery Voltage

If I turn the machine off and restart it may repeat the above screen,it may go to the Haas Logo screen then shut down, or it may finish booting that list a bunch of alarms

Does anyone know if Low battery voltage cause this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I also cross posted this in the CNC machining sub-forum

Does the machine boot up completely and display the low battery alarm or does it shut back down on its own? Can you clarify that a little better.

Regardless, the low battery warning is usually indicating that the battery used on the main processor PCB for retaining backup memory for things such as parameters, settings, etc. is getting weak and should be replaced.

Not a difficult job, but some boards will have the battery soldered on and others will have a dedicated battery holder. Either style will also require a seperate battery with wire leads and a plug that will connect to the processor PCB to maintain the necessary voltage while the permanent one is replaced. If in doubt, your HFO can easily handle this.

If you haven't done this recently or at all, backup all machine files right away in case you loose the machine memory before changing the battery. Copy them to your computer for safe keeping. You should do this regularly anyhow for good measure.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Haastec. Sometimes the machine will finish booting sometimes it doesn't. If it does boot, it has numerous alarms. I took your advise and called my HFO. I was told it was probably just the battery. I haven't run the machine in quite sometime time. I didn't realize the battery kept the memory going. I figured memory stayed by the AC voltage connected to the macghine. Wrong! My HFO guy told me the machine can be initialized with default parameters then tweak the ones that are different in my user manual. I don't remember reading anywhere that I could save the setting & parameters to disk. They are sending me a new battery and the battery with the leads on it to make the swap seamless. I should have the batteries tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply Haastec. Sometimes the machine will finish booting sometimes it doesn't. If it does boot, it has numerous alarms. I took your advise and called my HFO. I was told it was probably just the battery. I haven't run the machine in quite sometime time. I didn't realize the battery kept the memory going. I figured memory stayed by the AC voltage connected to the macghine. Wrong! My HFO guy told me the machine can be initialized with default parameters then tweak the ones that are different in my user manual. I don't remember reading anywhere that I could save the setting & parameters to disk. They are sending me a new battery and the battery with the leads on it to make the swap seamless. I should have the batteries tomorrow.

Glad to hear your dealer is helping you out with phone support.

One thing to note, the board that houses the battery will probably be located behind two others. You may be thinking about this already, but be sure to protect the boards from and debris or static discharge while handling and out of the machine. Make sure all wires/plug connectors still have labels in tact before disconnecting and re label as needed to make reassembly easier.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Haastec

I finished installing the new battery this morning. I followed the instructions supplied by my HFO. They supplied a battery replacement guide and the software load assistant guide since I may have lost files in my control.

I started the machine, it got to the Haas logo screen then shut down. I tried once more with the same results.

I am going to remove the 3 circuit boards I removed to get to the processor board to see if I over looked something or a plug isn't connected.

I will be calling HFO on Monday to see if they have any ideas. I'm hoping my processor board isn't bad. I replaced it a couple of years ago. I don't think I can afford another $4000 invoice right now. I'm hoping its something simple or at least inexpensive

Any ideas?

Are you by chance getting an alarm about Overheat and auto shut down?

If so, your parameters may be messed up since your battery was weak. Did your dealer provide instructions about initializing the machine?

No alarms. Control gets to Haas logo runs for about 10 seconds then shuts down when machine model & software version come on the screen.

Check to make sure the machine is really shutting down, you may just be losing the display and/or low voltage power.

Start machine up with back cabinet door open. Use caution as there are high voltages present.

- Power machine on normally and when it appears to shut down, take some measurements. Not sure how familiar you are with the cabinet, but look for power at the stack of 3 PCB's. You should measure +12v, -12v, and +5v all dc.
- Look to see if any LED lights are lit up on any other boards and vector drive.
- Is this a LCD display? If so, when screen goes out, look really close and see if the info is still displayed, the backlight may be out.
- When first turning on, quickly go to alarms page (if possible) and see if you can see any helpful alarms.

Some things to check, so report back what you find.

I didn't get over to work on it today. I am just about positive that it is completely shutting down. When the screen goes blank you can hear the relays shut off.

I don't believe there is any way I can get to the alarms display. MAchine doesn't get that far on start up.

I double checked tonight.

I push power on button

Display come up Reads:

Loading system to ram (1 sec )

MEM

CRC Check Ram

Then display Shows Haas Logo for approx 10 seconds

When the machine model # comes on screen below the Haas logo the control shuts down.

As I said at the beginning, I had a dead battery on the processor board. Would that wipe out the operating software or is that burned on an EPROM or something?

I tried calling my HFO but the guy I have been talking to was out for the day. I'll have to try him tomorrow

I double checked tonight.

I push power on button

Display come up Reads:

Loading system to ram (1 sec )

MEM

CRC Check Ram

Then display Shows Haas Logo for approx 10 seconds

When the machine model # comes on screen below the Haas logo the control shuts down.

As I said at the beginning, I had a dead battery on the processor board. Would that wipe out the operating software or is that burned on an EPROM or something?

I tried calling my HFO but the guy I have been talking to was out for the day. I'll have to try him tomorrow

You did not say if you checked inside the cabinet for any power, but I will assume that you did. You did, right?

Even if the software was wiped out and all of the memory from the processor boards were cleared, the machine will still power on and stay there. It has to in order to load new software.

I would suspect at this point that it could be the main contactor or possibly the power distribution board. Best to schedule someone to come in and track it down since you have been down for over a week now. If needed, they can swap parts in/out to troubleshoot and confirm any fixes.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I will check for voltage tonight

When the control shuts down it is definitely off. There are not LEDs lite in the cabinet. The display screen is definitely not on.

Which board is the power distribution board?

Presently, I have a tech coming in nest Monday. The HFO tech I spoke to seemed to think it is just a software issue. I did tell him it was shutting down. I just hope the tech that comes for the repair on Monday has the appropriate parts. I have very little work at the shop. Down time for the machine is not an issue. Cost is an issue. I really have no desire to sink another $4000 into the machine. I'm just hoping its a simple repair

Try this when you can.

With E-Stop pressed in and the machine off (like it will stay on, right! :D) press and hold PRG/CONVS key then press the power on button.

As soon as you see some text on the screen, you can let go of the PRG/CONVS key.

*********** DO NOTHING ELSE AT THIS POINT !!!!! *********************

This is a page for loading software but this next step will not alter anything.

Wait to see if the control stays on. If it does not, your problem has nothing to do with software; this would be a power issue then.

If the control stays on, then it is possible that it is a software problem and your tech will need to reload your machine. I have never come across this kind of issue so I highly doubt it, but there is always a first for everything though. Turn the machine back off to get out of this mode.

To answer your question, the power distribution board is in the upper right corner of the cabinet.

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks for your reply Haastech

I did what you suggested. The control stays on. Hopefully that is good news for me.

I have a Haas tech coming n ext Monday. Hopefully its just software reload and I will get off fairly cheap.

I do have copy of instructions for initializing software that was sent to me by HFO.

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply Haastech

I did what you suggested. The control stays on. Hopefully that is good news for me.

I have a Haas tech coming n ext Monday. Hopefully its just software reload and I will get off fairly cheap.

I do have copy of instructions for initializing software that was sent to me by HFO.

Thanks again

Would not hurt at this point to try and initialize the machine if you are comfortable doing so.

Have handy the following:

All of the options codes for r-tap, macros, 4th axis, etc, etc. Your dealer can give you these over the phone if needed. Don't forget the master unlock code when everything is finished.
Do you have a copy of your parameters? 2006 machine should have a print out in your manual (maybe). It will take some time, but go through each parameter and match the machine to the printed copy. If you don't have this then it may be best to let the tech take over.

Looks like you are on to something finally.
Good luck either way.

I figured I should update this thread.

Turns out when my battery went dead so did the operating system or whatever its called for my machine. Tech came and reloaded software. Everything is fine. I had a brief scare though. At first the spindle wouldn't orient for the tool change. Tech was a little baffled as to why. The I remembered that I had to put a new spindle encoder on the machine. Seems they went to a magnetic encoder for repairs and the parameters are different for it. So ~ $500 and I'm up and running. So just a little advice. My machine had been off for a couple of months. I didn't start it soon enough to find out the battery was going. My bad. The only gripe I have is that why doesn't AC power support memory as long as the machine is hooked to power. Seems kind of silly that the memory is kept with a battery. MAybe there is a reason for this I don't know. Any way thanks Haastech for you input

Back