What's new
What's new

HAAS VS-3 coolant check valve issue

DanKetch

Aluminum
Hello all,

We run a VS-3 at work, and it is a nice, easy to use, large capacity machine. However, the coolant is a pain in the ass. It never shuts down anywhere close to instantly after a M09 code.

Coolant continues to spew out at a slightly reduced flow and only finally dribbles to a stop after maybe 3-8 minutes after last operation. This is annoying and am tired of getting nasty coolant ************ on me when getting parts out.

I talked to a service guy at work, there to fix a diff machine, and while he said he was unfamiliar with HAAS', though either it was the check valve was bad, or just placed too close to the coolant pump.

I just started running this machine a few months ago, and after talking to the guys who ran it when we got it new 2 years ago, found out it was always this way.

So, have any of you guys dealt with this issue? What is the solution? Add another check valve close to the head? I know I can turn the shut-off valve off, but on such a large machine, it is unrealistic all the time, and after every op, if I want to check a part.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dan

Having used only Haas machines for over ten years now I have gotten used to it, it is a pain. You have got me to thinking though, I did run a Matsuura years ago that would quickly start and stop with only a bit of dribble for a few seconds.

The Matsuura coolant hose was separate from the flex conduit to the Z axis, it enters low on the right side then makes a loop near the spindle and had a check valve right close to the outlet. Haas mills coolant check valve is at the pump, the hose runs from up through the flex conduit then down to the nozzle, that's about five feet or more of coolant filled line to dribble out as air bubbles back into the line of coolant. You notice it stops then dribbles more then stops... Matsuura line is lower and has the check valve at the pump and the nozzle.

Loc-Line© has a check valve, part # 21191 for ¼” line, might give that a try or I will see if I cannot fit a check valve at the spindle.

First one to try it wins!

Have you checked to see if there is a check valve installed and/or working correctly? As stated, it will be at the output of the pump.

If you don't have the check valve or it is clogged and leaking you will have that problem. Check to make sure you have one like pictured below and if you do clean it. If you are using a 1/4 inch line lock as your only coolant line, that will make a difference too, as the pressure in the system will take longer to subside.

Attachments

• Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 728

Back