What's new
What's new

groove and thread geometry??

AUGUSTWEST

Aluminum
Got all simple .008 radii tools good to go just wondering how i should set the Z for groovers and threaders?? A for instance using .160 wide groover tried side closest to part and compensate for center and both ways not doing what it should?? gettting a little annoyed by having to toy around for desired results..

What am I doing wrong here guys??
using quick templates through hand jog for jobs im doing and some of the VQC

:scratchchin:

LMAO u must not know how to use it then, no CAM software so prove tools needed then enter values needed in template and im makin chips in 2 mins?? Can u create code to create a .750 radii on a 3.265 DIA part in under 5 mins??

Mind that its manual chuck, no bar feeder and im doing prototype work not production runs, but thanks for cynicism and no actual feedback. P.S go back to facebook

Well, actually I don't know, nor do I care for it.
But, without any more info, I'm guessing a 3.375 stock,.75 rad on the face of the part, say 1" long for the thing....

SETUPSTUFFHERE....
(ROUGH FRONT)
G00 G97 T101 S600 M03
G00 X3.4 Z.003
G96 S600 M08
G01 X.25 F.008
G01 X-.04 F.003
G01 X3.375 Z.05 F.05
G71 D.1 P100 Q150 U.008 W.003 F.01
N100 G00 X1.765
G01 Z0
G03 X3.265 Z-.75 R.75
G01 Z-1.
N150 G01 X3.625
M09
G97 S600 M03
N2
G28 (or something like G00 G53 X-10. Z-10.)
(FINISH - VNMG)
G00 G97 T202 S600 M03
G00 G41 X3.5 Z-1.
G96 S600 M08
G01 X3.265 F.01
G01 Z-.75 F.005
G02 X1.765 Z0 R.75
G01 X-.04
G01 G40 Z.08 F.05
M09
M05
G28
M30
%

Maybe 2 minutes...... at most....

BTW, what is Facebook????

lol nice example, not trying to be rude I havent ran a lathe in a while so please bear with me here and I seriously dont have many inserts or tool holders at my disposal, pretty sure i have 2 small sandvik holders 1 groove tool and 1 3/4 sandvik boring bar at my disposal, also never really had to write code from scratch on lathe. All tools i have are left handed tools and forgot I have a threader tool.

Im working on project due the 18th and i was having trouble with canned cycles and radial moves like where to put D R W and K values so the way im doing it im pretty sure is fastest way?? Manual chuck and all bar stock. I apologize but thought i said bout not programming lathe in a while,ive seen lathes that use 1/2 the actual cut DIA and some that use actual values. This is hot project and i was first person to get into this lathe and previous owner had some parameter values changed that were making machine VERY wierd, also had mirror X axis on?? Im getting to the point where im getting head around it finally.

Would your rapid move in parenthesis crash tho?? Like i said these r protos for a 1 time exhibition maybe if they start production on them they will want to make things more repeatable and Ill write and prove a program.

sorry about facebook comment had bad night:(

That move will not crash, it sends the machine to x-10 and z-10 in the machine coordinate system. very handy for setting an index postion that is constant regardless of tool geometry.

WE ALL need to understand it ALL depends on settings being used, the way lathe im tryin to get in order doesnt even have -10 in x travel?? using small tombstone that holds 4 tools and x 0 is in front of u, its is not a turret system.

WHY IS ALL THIS IN THIS THREAD?? ASKED SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT SETTING Z ON GROOVERS AND THREADERS??

WE ALL need to understand it ALL depends on settings being used, the way lathe im tryin to get in order doesnt even have -10 in x travel?? using small tombstone that holds 4 tools and x 0 is in front of u, its is not a turret system.

WHY IS ALL THIS IN THIS THREAD?? ASKED SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT SETTING Z ON GROOVERS AND THREADERS??

Yup, that's what you did ask.
However, since you're using VQC, I can't help you how it wants to have the tools set up.

Regarding the X-10., it was you who asked what that line meant.

Nonetheless, if you want real answers, may start by posting all necessary info.
You see, one can pick up a grooving tool as Dir 3, 4 and 8. I sometimes do all three just for one tool and use all of them in one program.
An ID groover can be picked up as 1,2 and 6, which one depends on what you cut and how you cut it.

Got any more complaints about the answers?

Yup, that's what you did ask.
However, since you're using VQC, I can't help you how it wants to have the tools set up.

Regarding the X-10., it was you who asked what that line meant.

Nonetheless, if you want real answers, may start by posting all necessary info.
You see, one can pick up a grooving tool as Dir 3, 4 and 8. I sometimes do all three just for one tool and use all of them in one program.
An ID groover can be picked up as 1,2 and 6, which one depends on what you cut and how you cut it.

Got any more complaints about the answers?
wow 1 of those guys !! can u tell me next weeks winning lotto #s too?? RUDE!! Who asked about that line?? Do u think im on here copying code?? LMFAO how do u block someone??

wow 1 of those guys !! can u tell me next weeks winning lotto #s too?? RUDE!! Who asked about that line?? Do u think im on here copying code?? LMFAO how do u block someone??

Wow! Kind of lashing out on the one person taking the most time to try and help you out, don't you think?

WOW MY BAD GUYS, not lashing out i apologize i just havent turned in a while, the lathe is total tool room lathe with haas options in manual for u to enter few points of reference and measurements and as long as tool qualified it will perform task much quicker than writing code, only because manual spindle making parts from stock and pipe and nothing really worth programming, wrote a couple programs but was having trouble wrapping head around achieving a chamfer to a radius in a canned cycle with a groove tool. I apologize gentleman my bad

Back