What's new
What's new

Questions on a 5 axis trunnion with a VF-2BTR

manike

Plastic
Hello All,

I recently picked up a used 2004 VF 2 BTR with a 160 Trunnion.

I am in the process of getting it set up. I haven't had a lot of time to investigate the Trunnion system yet, but I'm finding it hard to see a quick and easy way to set it up on the bed so that it can removed and replaced with the minimum effort to make sure it is square and true each time.

There are two bolts on each end, but no key way that I could make out anywhere. Am I missing something? There does appear to be a hole in line with the bolts but I haven't checked to see if it is for a dowel yet or not. The trunnion is on a pallet and I couldn't get under it easily yet.

Also, how do you pick yours up? There's nothing obviously simple. Do you use the 4 bolt holes (assymetrical pattern) around the b axis table?

I'm looking for the best way to put it on the machine so I can change from the 5 axis set up back to the table and vices.

Also, does anyone use a similar system with a vice on the trunnion? Or should I just make fixtures for all my jobs (again why I think I need a simple way of getting the trunnion on and off the machine, so I can make my fixtures etc.)

It looks like the trunnion has to be mounted to the middle t-slot. There doesn't appear to be enough room to offset it back and then put a vice on the front.

I was also considering making a platform that would fit on top of the trunnion main section and with the trunnion swung up at 90 degrees allowing me to mount a vice to the new platform. Thoughts?

I'd appreciate any information or tips from people in a similar situation.

Thanks

Back