What's new
What's new

Some Pics of my New TL-2

handscrape

Aluminum
Hi Guys,

I got my TL-2 in a couple of weeks ago and wanted to post some pictures for eveyone to see.
I was looking at pics online before I got it and couldn't find any with measurements, hence the measuring tape in the photo.
The biggest thing I was curious about was how big it could swing. Approx 28" dia if you remove the cover.
They advertised it as a 16" x 48" machine.
Havent used the machine yet but my idea was to fill in the gap in our shop between manual turning and full cnc.
Some things I like, other things not to sure about but I think it will serve its purpose.

thanks,

h.s.

Attachments

• CIMG0572.jpg
    CIMG0572.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,759
  • CIMG0559.jpg
    CIMG0559.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,898
  • CIMG0560.jpg
    CIMG0560.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,634
  • CIMG0561.jpg
    CIMG0561.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,505
  • CIMG0562.jpg
    CIMG0562.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,637
A couple more pics

I'm a little slow on the best way to upload pics without having them online so pls bear with me.
here are a few more.

Attachments

• CIMG0563.jpg
    CIMG0563.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • CIMG0564.jpg
    CIMG0564.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,102
  • CIMG0566.jpg
    CIMG0566.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • CIMG0567.jpg
    CIMG0567.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,233
That is a very sharp looking machine ! You'll have to give us a proper review when you've had some time on it. I need something like this in my shop. While I have my Mazak for most CNC turning, I do a lot of stuff that is too long for the Mazak..........and I need the tailstock.

Frank

Looks like a nice machine.

I like the trucks on the tailstock, looks like it should repeat well now. Do you know how the clamp operates, what it clamps on?

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I definitely will let you know how it works out and what happens.
I am a lathe guy so I'm going to try to use this machine almost the same way I use the manual lathes.
The tail stock seems like a bit of an after thought.
I read reviews online on how some of the older models would warp the rails when clamped.
Or other stories like not being able to turn a parallel on size diameter because of the tail stock.
Having the tail stock on the same rails as the carriage isn't the best idea in my mind, because any force from the
tailstock will influence the travel of the carriage. The locking mechaism doesn't actually lock the tailstock down.
It's in the front of the tail stock and it drops 2 dowels up and down into machined slots along the bed to give it a positive stop.
The tail stock actually moves back and forth a bit when the dowels are in 'locked position'.
I dont think the haas guys intended for it to be used for anything other than holding a center on the end of a shaft or something.
I have a few ideas of my own to get around this and am going to create a positive clamp for the tailstock.
When I do I'll put up some pics for you guys.

h.s.

We have had a TL2 for a year and we are happy with it except for the tailstock adjustment which is a huge compromise. The machined slots are 4" apart and the tailstock travel is actually slightly less unless you shorten the ejector section of the screw or grind a bit off the MT sleeves and rotating centre.
The design means that on some setups an extension socket has to be used to space out the centre so that the tool can clear the tailstock casting with the problems that has for rigidity.
We have been looking at redesigning the "drop down" locking mechanism to give 2" adjustment steps or even machining extra slots in the bed casting.
Whoever came up with the system obviously never had to use a (manual or CNC) lathe on a daily basis.

Buchanman.

Whoever came up with the system obviously never had to use a (manual or CNC) lathe on a daily basis.

Buchanman.

Yeah, I can see the slot idea to lock the tailstock becoming old real fast, and i havent even used the machine yet.
You think the effort and time it took to machine all those slots could have been better spent if they went a little further
with the design and made it more similar to a regular lathe tailstock. I have a few ideas up my sleeves, when i get to them I'll definitely let you guys know.

h.s.

I was wondering what those slots were for. I thought maybe they were for a redesign of the steady rest. Seems like it could be an issue with the slots 4" apart, but looks like a better design than what I have on my 05 TL-1. Haas should have just made a box way insert kinda like they had on there old design SL-10. It would fit between the linear rails.

When you get a chance, could you post a measurement of what the length through the headstock is?

Many thanks!

The bore is 3" thru wich is nice, one reason why I chose this model.
The distance from the face of the chuck thru the bore to the end of the spindle is almost 25" long.
This machine has a max rpm of 2000 but the with the spindle option and enclosure you can get 3500.
The handwheels are powder coat red. They use to be anodized which I think was nicer.
I'm planning on changing them anyways to ones that have a flip handle so I can have something to hang on to when I need.
I'll then flip them in when in cnc mode and not bust my gut if I forget and press go.
The small knobs that are on the ones there now are only good to look at, not really functional.

Thanks,

h.s.

Hi, I'm new here!

I'm getting this machine delivered to my facility tomorrow. This is our first foray into the CNC realm, so we thought a manual/CNC lathe would be a good way to transition into the CNC realm. We're really excited about having it.

In any event, I joined this forum to read what other machinists are doing and trying to learn at the same time. Just in reading for the past week I have really learned a lot. I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum and getting to know some of you!

- Dave

We just got it today. Finishing tech will be in tomorrow to get us operational.

Very exciting (for me).

TL-2-UNLOAD-A.jpg

TL-2-UNPACK-A.jpg

It was like unwrapping a giant Pop Tart:

TL-2-UNPACK-D.jpg

TL-2-A.jpg

TL-2-D.jpg

Man, those pictures!!!
I can not wait to have my own.

So, how long did delivery take, from signing the papers?

What's standard procedure with a new Haas? Do techs come and wire it and level it? Or is that something the purchaser has to complete?

What's standard procedure with a new Haas? Do techs come and wire it and level it? Or is that something the purchaser has to complete?

Riggers place and rough level machine. You are responsible for running Air and Power to machine. Once hooked up you call your HFO and schedule a Haas Service Tech to come in and commission machine. They verifies power, sets up corresponding taps, level machine, does initial startup, verifies basic operations, checks to see if options are installed and everything is working as it should..you get a brief once over on machine, its workings, basic maintenance items...then you sign off and get to making chips.

Man, those pictures!!!
I can not wait to have my own.

So, how long did delivery take, from signing the papers?

The salesman quoted me 6-8 weeks. I cut my PO on the 15th of May and we received the machine on July 10th, so 8 weeks. It actually shipped from the factory last week and had about a week on the truck. They had designs on the machine being done at the 6 week mark, but for whatever reason they told me a week after that it would be pushed out.

What SIM says below is spot on. The Haas Tech is coming out today as we got the air, electrical, and rough leveling done yesterday afternoon.

Once hooked up you call your HFO and schedule a Haas Service Tech to come in and commission machine. They verifies power, sets up corresponding taps, level machine, does initial startup, verifies basic operations, checks to see if options are installed and everything is working as it should..you get a brief once over on machine, its workings, basic maintenance items...then you sign off and get to making chips.

Is the setup included in the machine price? or is that the service they list as 4 Hour on Site training for $695 ?

Is the setup included in the machine price? or is that the service they list as 4 Hour on Site training for $695 ?

Making your machine ready to use is included.

How much service you get after that may vary on the outlet center that you bought the machine through. I can't speak to whether they're all the same. In our case, the tech set up the machine completely and then the outlet center sent us a guy who spent about a day with us going though using the machine. We were completely green to CNC, so we needed our hands held. We've contacted them a few times since and they've always talked to us or even come out.

From my perspective as someone that alters between the shop and the office, doing everything from sales to purchasing, that these guys didn't nickel and dime us was great. Aside from the great performance of the machine, that kind of service makes me want to stick with Haas going forward as we grow into larger machines.

Will it be as good months and years down the line? It remains to be seen, but from what I've seen and heard their service is top notch.

Making your machine ready to use is included.

How much service you get after that may vary on the outlet center that you bought the machine through. I can't speak to whether they're all the same. In our case, the tech set up the machine completely and then the outlet center sent us a guy who spent about a day with us going though using the machine. We were completely green to CNC, so we needed our hands held. We've contacted them a few times since and they've always talked to us or even come out.

From my perspective as someone that alters between the shop and the office, doing everything from sales to purchasing, that these guys didn't nickel and dime us was great. Aside from the great performance of the machine, that kind of service makes me want to stick with Haas going forward as we grow into larger machines.

Will it be as good months and years down the line? It remains to be seen, but from what I've seen and heard their service is top notch.

Sounds like your dealer treats you quite well, very nice!

Insert,
The machine price will include setup. I do not believe that a full day of training is the norm for what is included in the setup of the machine though. A lot depends on the type of machine, but I don't think that 1-2 hrs going over the control and machine functions is unreasonable to expect with the setup. Like mentioned, all of this can/will be different between HFO's so be sure to ask what can be expected.

Back