What's new
What's new

Is there anything limiting the size of a file I can upload via RS232? 2004 VF2

manike

Plastic
I have a 2004 VF2 with 16M upgraded memory.

I am using an xlTransfer from DNC, xlTRANSFER

xlTRANSFER.jpg

to allow me to use USB memory sticks and upload files via the RS232 port.

It's working well with small files, but not with anything larger than would usually fit on a floppy...

I am wondering if it is a setting on the control?

I tried uploading a file that was 2.5m and got an error saying missing (...) and then in the alarms it said it was trying to load data as a comment?

I checked the file thoroughly, including the line it seemed to have an issue with, and couldn't see any problem.

I broke EXACTLY the same file down into smaller parts of no more than 1.34M, and it went through just fine.

The xlTransfer seems to be happy sending the larger file, but the Haas controller doesn't seem happy receiving it after it gets above a certain size.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

btw. Made my first chips with this, my first CNC, last night and it was awesome! :D

I fixed the issue with the transfers. It was all my fault and nothing to do with the HAAS or the xlTransfer unit.

It appears that the transfer unit had to be set to "cr and lf" rather than just "lf". Not sure why it worked with small programs and not larger ones before but that "carriage return line feed", seems to have made it work with larger programs too. Certainly the file I was having issues with before went through perfectly now. Still at the highest baud rate too. Still a little slower transferring files than I would like, but I can live with it.

I couldn't see how to delete the thread or I would have removed it.

That is a very nice looking transfer unit. If the unit drips the file to your control, and you have enough ram for a buffer, it should not slow you down too badly. If you had deleted the post, I would not know about your magic box! These machines are more impressive, in your shop!!! :-)
Regards,
Bob

Aswering the original question, even though it's now moot:-

If the box and the VF2 are using the original 1980 XModem protocol, there would be a limit of 32MBytes. If they're using the 1998 RFC2348 version, the limit is 4Gbytes. If you've got a 4Gbyte GCode file, we'd all appreciate a picture of the finished product:eek:.

Back