What's new
What's new

2006 VF8 - How to set spindle orientation after drive belt change

Harter

Plastic
So we ended up snapping the spindle drive belt in our Haas.

New belt is already installed but of course the spindle does not line up with tool changer arm. Quick googling did not reveal how to correct this problem. :confused:

Copied from 1996 manual; I believe they all use the pneumatic "shot pin" to lock the spindle. I think you can get to it by removing the top cover where the fan is...
Basically you need to reposition the hub so when the pin is in the notch the keys are aligned to the carousel.
Good luck!

1. Remove cover panels from the head stock area and tool changer front cover.
2. In MDI mode, press the ORIENT SPINDLE button.
3. Loosen the four 1/4"-20 bolts on the orientation ring. Remove two of these bolts and insert them into the two
threaded holes on the ring. Evenly tighten these two bolts until the taper lock is loose.
4. Remove the two 1/4"-20 bolts and place them into their original holes. Tighten them finger tight, then 1/2 of a turn
more. Ensure that the orientation ring is snug, but not tight.
5. Set up a magnetic base with a 0.0005" indicator on the table. Zero the indicator on the spindle dog in the X- plane.
6. Jog the indicator across the spindle dogs and note the indicator reading. The spindle dogs should be parallel to the
X axis within 0.030".

Note: Here I cheated and used a long straight edge across the keys and to the key on the tool carousel, tool shuttle cover unbolted so it was open
then snugged the hub, checked with dial indicator and nudged it a bit with an adjustable wrench to the key and tightened the hub.

7. There is a 0.015"-0.030" backlash in the spindle system when it is oriented. Be certain to compensate for this
backlash when performing the adjustment.
8. Using a 5/8" open end wrench, rotate the spindle until the appropriate alignment is attained. If the spindle is very
difficult to rotate, STOP and return to Step 5.
9. Disconnect the main air line to the machine.
10. Manually turn the orientation ring and push the shot pin until it drops into the orient ring detent.
11. Tighten the orient screws (evenly) to 15 ft-lbs. Verify that spindle alignment has not changed.
NOTE: It is vital that the orient screws be tightened evenly. If not, the top of the orientation ring will run out and the ring
will slip.
NOTE: Ensure the orient ring has an adequate layer of grease around the circumference before starting operation.
12. Make at least 50 tool changes to test the spindle orientation.

Thanks for reply but this machine has vector drive and the spindle orientation is done by drive and spindle encoder.

I have seen how haas service service man did this years ago but its hard to remember. There was a parameter which determined spindle position when M19 is called and you could find that position from debug

I suspected that, I have a newer book I will check tomorrow... are you sure there is no shot pin? Walk... I mean to say read, through the help files on the control, may be a description there??

Haha i figured it out.. sort of. Dont know hot to get the toolchanger arm to spindle but i cheated my way around that by performing toolchange and then hitting e-stop before the arm reaches the spindle.

Rest was simple enough:

1. Rotate arm to spindle in smtc recovery mode
2. Aling spindle to tool changer arm by hand
3. Enter debug (parametre write off, alarm page, write DEBUG and hit write/enter)
4. Go to position Raw Data page (position button and page down untill this shows up)
5. Look for value that changes when you rotate the spindle by hand
6. Aling spindle again and write down this value. In my case it was -271
7. Exit debug (write DEBUG again in alarm page and hit write/enter)
8. Go to parametres and tool changer page
9. Parameter 257 SPINDL ORIENT OFSET
10. Hit e-stop
11. Change parameter 257 to what you saw at Raw Data page
12. Verify position by running M19 command in MDI
13. Turn parameter write off
14. Done! :)

Machine is back up and running happily! Note: This is propably not the way Haas tech does it (i know there is a way to jog tool changer arm around but couldnt find it..)

Haha i figured it out.. sort of. Dont know hot to get the toolchanger arm to spindle but i cheated my way around that by performing toolchange and then hitting e-stop before the arm reaches the spindle.

Rest was simple enough:

1. Rotate arm to spindle in smtc recovery mode
2. Aling spindle to tool changer arm by hand
3. Enter debug (parametre write off, alarm page, write DEBUG and hit write/enter)
4. Go to position Raw Data page (position button and page down untill this shows up)
5. Look for value that changes when you rotate the spindle by hand
6. Aling spindle again and write down this value. In my case it was -271
7. Exit debug (write DEBUG again in alarm page and hit write/enter)
8. Go to parametres and tool changer page
9. Parameter 257 SPINDL ORIENT OFSET
10. Hit e-stop
11. Change parameter 257 to what you saw at Raw Data page
12. Verify position by running M19 command in MDI
13. Turn parameter write off
14. Done! :)

Machine is back up and running happily! Note: This is propably not the way Haas tech does it (i know there is a way to jog tool changer arm around but couldnt find it..)

That is exactly how to do it. Glad you got it figured out.

BGL, right about that 96 time frame is when the machines were being switched out to the vector drive. All of the vector drive machines will use the encoder to position spindle for tool change. Good directions for the shot pin though for those who have it.

Back