What's new
What's new

How much time to replace processor board on Haas?

John Deere

Aluminum
Have the Haas tech here replacing a bad processor board on our VF2. He'll start his 3rd day of working on it tomorrow. That seems a little excessive to me...

Our machine had the old Coldfire I board and now they're all replaced with updated Coldfire IIs. Tech seems to have one problem after another with it- first the USB wouldn't communicate, now the toolchanger won't, etc. I'm thinking surely ours isn't the first to change from Coldfire I to II and Haas should have this pretty well worked out by now.

Understanding the not everything goes as smoothly as you hope, but how long should it take to replace the board, upload parameters, and make the machine usable?

Have the Haas tech here replacing a bad processor board on our VF2. He'll start his 3rd day of working on it tomorrow. That seems a little excessive to me...

Our machine had the old Coldfire I board and now they're all replaced with updated Coldfire IIs. Tech seems to have one problem after another with it- first the USB wouldn't communicate, now the toolchanger won't, etc. I'm thinking surely ours isn't the first to change from Coldfire I to II and Haas should have this pretty well worked out by now.

Understanding the not everything goes as smoothly as you hope, but how long should it take to replace the board, upload parameters, and make the machine usable?

Sometimes there can be compatability issues that come up when "upgrading" processors. Even happened on some of the older versions. Haas factory engineers will say everything is backwards compatable, but real life tells us differently sometimes.

Three days does seem quite excessive though. Do you know if this is an experienced tech or someone relatively new? If new, demand that he get help if he is still working on in. Either way, I would not accept charges for three days of work either.

Changing a processor board should only take an hour or two and that is being VERY generous with complications. The physical swap should take minutes. It is not your responsibility to pay for product troubleshooting. Most HFO's will credit the time without you even having to say something, but unfortunately you are out production until it is fixed.

Good luck!

Report back how things shake out.

Proud to say that the HFO took care of me. They knocked the time back to a couple of hours without my having to ask. Kudos to Jeffreys and we're back running parts.

Score one for Haas. When I worked for others it seemed the factory tech always billed all their time even if they spent most of it chasing their tail. The only ones I ever saw bill what the job should have taken are the independents.

Back