What's new
What's new

Super Mini Mill 2

Les George

Plastic
I'd like to put a S Mini Mill 2 in my garage, I have the clearance in side, but it's a 7 foot tall door. Can it be done? With a SMTC?

Thanks in advance!

Les, Haas has all the sizes and clearances needed, talk to the Haas dealer, they can help you out. Don't forget the height of the pallet jack when measuring. My machine made it with about 1/2" clearance, but a miss is as good as a mile. Worst case, buy a sawzall and enlarge the door!

I'd like to put a S Mini Mill 2 in my garage, I have the clearance in side, but it's a 7 foot tall door. Can it be done? With a SMTC?

Thanks in advance!

Les I was going to get a SMTC on my VF-2 when I bought it. I talked with Haas here in Phoenix and local riggers.

In the end there was no way to do it with a standard garage opening and a full sized machine.

They did tell me they could probably tilt a mini, or a DT-1 enough to clear the changer. That theory remains untested as far as I know.

Before you give up on it though have your Haas dealer talk with the riggers and see if they can do it, good riggers can do some neat stuff if you pay them enough.

In addition I was not able to get the gear box option, also would not fit.

I just bought a super mini in January. The dimensions and data on the sheet are a bit too extreme. I thought I was going to be cutting it close with clearance. I had more than a foot of clearance once in the garage. Getting it through the door was close but not bad at all. As long as you don't have the horizontal tool changer, you only have to take down the hose above the machine.

We had the guy set the machine in the garage on the skid, then we used a palette jack to move it into place. Best decision ever.

If you decide to get one. Make sure you have enough room to walk around the machine. Not worth moving it in and out of a corner for adjustments.

There is a picture in my album of the machine.

Les I was going to get a SMTC on my VF-2 when I bought it. I talked with Haas here in Phoenix and local riggers.

In the end there was no way to do it with a standard garage opening and a full sized machine.

They did tell me they could probably tilt a mini, or a DT-1 enough to clear the changer. That theory remains untested as far as I know.

Before you give up on it though have your Haas dealer talk with the riggers and see if they can do it, good riggers can do some neat stuff if you pay them enough.

In addition I was not able to get the gear box option, also would not fit.

How difficult was it to fit a VF-2 with the standard toolchanger through a normal garage door? how high does the door in your garage open? I am in a similar situation, looking at replacing my aging knee-type CNC mill with a mini-mill, mini mill 2 or TM-1P. However, looking at the Haas VMC lineup, the VF2 seems to give the most bang for the money and footprint. If I could stretch my finances to buy a basic VF-2, I would, provided the machine can fit and operate in a normal 2 car garage (along with my TL-1).

Also, what HP/rpm does the your VF2 have? what type of electrical installation do you have in your garage (I have the typical 100A 2-phase residential service)? Are you using a phase converter (and which make/model) to run the machine?

Thanks, any information will be much appreciated.

Back