What's new
What's new

Is it possible to turn back hours

byawor

Hot Rolled
Reason I ask is that I have a 1994 VF2, bought used, that shows impossibly low hours. Just wondering if there is a way that the hours could have been changed? I know if you buy a new speedo for auto you have to turn in the old one and they set the new one to show the miles that were recorded.
Bob

Yes, the hours can be reset. We all want to think that w got a great deal on a LOW hours machine, but my advice is to forget it and just enjoy the machine. My old 96 runs great and I make great parts with it.

Mike

wait, where are you looking, if you are on current command screen and just paging up, that is operator reset-able. You have to get into diagnostics and look at the hours there. Most machine resellers advertise the hours on the current commands page, which is un truthful. You can select the field and press origin and it will zero that out, on the diagnostics page, you can not. One of the Haas guys can tell you where to look because i cant remember. The only way i can think is if a processor board or maybe a mocon board was changed your hours would not reflect true machine hours?
come on masters, chime in!

steve

Steve and Nick have hit it on the head. When you get a software update they zero out normally. I believe the tech can note the hours and re-enter so they are correct but not positive on that...

Also - I've seen advertisements where the hours stated were with a picture of the current commands (resettable) hours:rolleyes5:

If they are on a used machine dealer's website I'd steer clear of that business.

I believe the tech can note the hours and re-enter so they are correct but not positive on that...

I think no. But I certainly wouldn't bet on that!
What I know is, that you can enter (or change once) the serial number.

Unless the hours are ridiculous low, it would be quite time consuming to get feed hours (note: Feed, not up-time) onto the machine.

Maybe you can find out what software-version was the current when the mill was shipped and what the version installed is. Haas does have a record of your machine and knows what is installed. If there is a mismatch ...

The TL-2 I bought had something around 700 hours up time and 75 feed hours. Looks like they stared at it for four months and worked just for two weeks. Then they went bankrupt. ;)

Nick

The hours cannot be "turned back", but as other have said they can be reset to zero hours.

Older machines that have had either their software updated or their processor PCB replaced will have the hours clock starting from zero.

Not sure of the software version at this time, but the newer machines have the ability for the hours to be saved and reloaded with any updates.

Byawor, I would be surprised if you were still running the original software. A lot of machines had a label on the inside of the electrical cabinet door, it will say what software was shipped with the machine. If you have the original manual that has a printout of the parameters as shipped from the factory, the first sheet will list the software version also.

I wouldn't get to hung up on the hours though, you can tell a lot about how the machine was run and cared for by how things look.
If it is running good and holding tolerances well, then that is all that really matters.

Good luck!

its nice to know the hours, and it is also nice not to know. my 96 has ??? hours on it, i cant remember its been a while since i looked. I know the toolchanger has over a million tool changes on it, so that says something right there. haha that is like 3000hrs just in tool changes. I put a new ballscrew in y and new rails on z, machine runs like a champ. Machine holds tolerance so i love it. Thats the nice thing about a haas, you can replace bad parts as they come up and keep it running and making money. How does your machine run?

Steve.

Back