What's new
What's new

Automatic Tool Length Offsets

dustincram

Plastic
Hi All,

Has anyone had experience using the skip signal and a low cost tool setting probe to automatically set z offsets using G37? I have looked into it a bit for our '94 VF3 and it seems fairly strait-forward to use a precision microswitch for the tool setter, you could probably get +/- .0005 without much trouble. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dustin

Hi All,

Has anyone had experience using the skip signal and a low cost tool setting probe to automatically set z offsets using G37? I have looked into it a bit for our '94 VF3 and it seems fairly strait-forward to use a precision microswitch for the tool setter, you could probably get +/- .0005 without much trouble. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dustin

You will need some kind of program to go along with it so the machine knows what to do with any information.
If you have the skills and time then go for it!

Good luck!

Hi Haastec,

Thanks for the reply. Does G37 not automatically load the offset into the offsets page when the skip signal is received? It seems like you could do it in G-code without a problem. It looks like you can even enter a Z value to add or subtract so if you knew the height off the table of the switch actuation

Dustin

Hi All,

Just FYI, this works great! I have not used it yet on a setup but expect it to speed things up significantly. When I get it looking good and all buttoned up I will post some images.

Dustin

Hi All,

Just FYI, this works great! I have not used it yet on a setup but expect it to speed things up significantly. When I get it looking good and all buttoned up I will post some images.

Dustin

We have a renishaw probe setup on both our HAAS machines and they use IR communication and a reciever wird to the control.
Just curious in your case, how do u get the signal that the switch is tripped to the control???

We have a renishaw probe setup on both our HAAS machines and they use IR communication and a reciever wird to the control.
Just curious in your case, how do u get the signal that the switch is tripped to the control???

Unfortunately it is not wireless and I need a cable from the probe to the control, where there is a "Skip" signal input. So I just ran the cable through the Haas control support arm and out where the door interlock switch cable goes. The plug is labeled Skip on the PCB, and it is in the lower left hand side of the main cabinet in the rear of the machine.

Dustin

Back