What's new
What's new

Haas program RS232 Transfer Problem

djm77

Aluminum
Hi,

In their wisdom our management have changed all our PCs over to windows 7 in the past few days.

I now have a problem with sending my OneCNC programs to our Haas machines.

The PC will receive programs sent from the machine but will not send programs from the PC to the machine.

The only thing that has changed is the cable coming out of the PC into our switch box (which allows us to select the machine we want to send the program to). It used to be a cable that came out of one of the COM ports, but now with the updated PCs not having COM ports, we have a USB adaptor to fix into the back of the switch box.

Admittedly we have the XR2 version of OneCNC and speaking to our supplier it shouldn't even work with windows 7. The lathe version doesn't but the milling version does. ?????? I was just using the NC editor to try and send a program exactly as before the change to Windows 7.

All settings etc. are the same.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what may be causing why I can receive programs from the machine on the PC but can't send them from the PC to the machine anymore?

Thanks

Serial killer

Hi

Long time listener, first time caller. ;)

It could be that the USB adapter you have doesn't do a very good job with interrupts, and so it has a hard time sending the data using the W7 driver. It could be as simple as changing to a different brand. I have good luck with IOGear GUC232A adapters. There is a vetted W7 driver. I also have really good luck with Quatech stuff, but it's a little more expensive. Best thing about those is the very low latency, but that's likely not a big deal for your application.

One approach you could try, right-click on the program icon and under Properties -> Compatibility, check the box to run the program in XP compatibility mode. That fixed a lot of the problems I encountered trying to run AutoCAD 2000 on W7.

If that doesn't work, download and install the Microsoft Virtual PC and the Virtual XP image and run that. It effectively lets you have a virtual XP box running inside your W7 box. (You can also build and install other OS's) Program compatibility should not be an issue, but you're still at the mercy of W7 for the serial port driver.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I just plain gave up trying to use anything newer then win95 to communicate with my older machine. Dedicated Old PC's sit alongside the older machines.
Even went one better, removed Windows from PC and run SP, a Terminal DOS Program straight from DOS... rock solid.

What is worse then trying to communicate with a new Windows PC, a New Windows Laptop. It won't work, It works!, it works, it won't work, it won't work....and all you did differently each time...nothing.

Get it figured out, please let me know.

Back