What's new
What's new

engraving on drum

heartlnd

Aluminum
does anybody have any experience with engraving of lines and numbers on a haas mill with 4th axis?
need to make a degree ring with graduations and numbers to suit.

thanks for any help
[email protected]

Hello, if you mean engraving on the outside diameter of a cylinder you need G107 cylindrical mapping. This g-code goes before the text line.

Athack

I did a dial for a friends Monarch EE cross feed screw. Came out fine. The numbers were engraved on his pantograph, however. I used a single flue engraving tool at 5000 rpm. I defined the line lengths and # of degrees absolute to advance the dial. I'd have to find the code to be sure how I did it. You want to be sure of the division count before you have to make that 2nd part!!!

Tim in D

Here is the one Tim in D did. I'll say this came out better than fine. Thanks Tim
168-6876_IMG.jpg

Hi Dave,
As I said above, the blank was chucked up on the 4th axis. It was a simple indexing job. Daryl then took them to his shop and used his Gorton engraver for the numerals. Looking at the G107 function looks like it would work fine after dinking around to get the positioning of the numerals right. I would encourage you to try it and report back here and share your experience. I want to make up some Hardinge HLVH style dials at some point for my FP1 project.
Keep us posted!

Tim in D

got it worked out with G107.it took a while to get the spacing right on the cad/cam system,but in the end it worked.
thank you to all who helped.

jens

Back