What's new
What's new

tool changer alarm 115

dvice

Hot Rolled
our mini mill is having issues...the tool changer doesnt know what is tool one..and when i do a tool change it takes the tool out rotates and then stops. and I have a 115 alarm...

i need to look at F1 fuse on IOPCB....anyone know where that is?

also the alarm message says to look at relays K9-K12.

anyone know where they are?

the repairman cant come till monday!!!

so i want to TRY and troubleshoot it myself

thanks

bob

If you look carefully on the edges of the PC boards there is ID lettering on them and near relays and fuses. Once you see them it will be clearer and start to make sense. You can also remove the cover on the outer portion of your tool shuttle, there is a drive motor and I believe two micro switches or proximity sensors, one will be marked TOOL #1 or T1, on the switch and or cable something like that. Do you have the manual, it will show you were to look on the diagnostic page for the I/O [input/output] Take out the switch and manually activate to see if it is working, 0=Off, 1=On.

Make sure there is not a ton of chips up in the tool umbrella, ideally get all the tools out then set the rapid to 5% and then initiate a tool change, when the shuttle moves in and z rises then switches to next tool, hit e stop or feed hold before the Z axis moves back down. !! E stop is safer and smarter !!. Look up inside, if there is a forest of chips don't be too shy to run coolant all around in there and flush it out then blow it out with air, if that's the case then you may have just fixed it... but then;
Most often the micro-switch are gummed up or the connectors are bad - disconnecting and reconnecting often fixes them. Use alcohol to clean the roller and plunger of a micro switch, nothing to do for a proximity switch other than replace it - but first try opening and reconnecting the connectors.

wrote fast, so my apologies, may take several reads to make sense - lol
Good luck - let me know how it goes, I'll check back later...

If you do not have the manual I believe you can download it from the Haas site , look under Manual updates.

thanks for the reply. Luckily the Haas mechanic was in teh area and got done early with one customer and came over today to look at our problem..it was a switch on the INSIDE of the carosel that reads if #1 tool is in or not. and it apparently has a chip on it...

i wasnt in yesterday when the problem arose and i just took the info from the guys in the shop trying to fix it...they were looking at proximity switches and what not , and took the cover off the tool changer motor, based on a phone call to our Haas rep... but it was all for nothing...

i did open the back and i found the fuse F1...it was good...looks like a 5 amp max fuse in there!! never could locate any "relays"

and for sure the machine is dirty...has a ton of sticky caramel colored chips over everything...the little asian that runs it works fast..but doesnt clean so good....

dvice

its not the problem...but the relay hanging up is a common issue....so for down the road.

Relays are a bunch of clear plastic, rectangular boxs down on your left. Once you find...look at writing at base on board. Turret fwd, turret rev. In, out etc. Describes what they do and starts to make sense.

If you look closer you will see the three Copper strips inside with contacts on the sides.

If a problem arises you wiggles the relay out and give a switch with another, if problem moves, you know its the Relay. Cover comes off by playing with two tabs at base or clear cover. You'll see a contact stuck...pry it away...clean surfaces with fine emery, clean and reinstall. It normally gets you working again. But order a new one as the contacts will stick again as the coating is usually buggered up..plus order a backup or two to leave in cabinet (best way to never have that problem again is by having a spare).

The limit switches are the week link on these machines...nice to have couple spares that can be hard wired in till the correct switch is delivered. Cleaning does work...but usually not for too long. My tech showed me his trick of placing grease around the base of switch to keep coolant and crap out. They still go...but not as often.

Gummy coolant causes issues...hanging up switches, requires motors to overcome sticky sticking which kills motors and relays. I try to clean machine carousel, moving parts , cabinet, fingers, spindle at least once every month or two. If you keep up with it...the work is not so bad. maybe 15-20 minutes.

Back