What's new
What's new

HAAS changed the spindle types on the Mini-mills

dead_nuts

Aluminum
I was looking at the updated specifications, and the Mini-Mills now come with a grease packed spindle now instead of the air/oil injection. The Super-mini-mills still have air/oil injection.

I bought a Mini-mill2 last year with air/oil injection and it has got to be the only thing I don't like about the machine. It consumes such a large amount of air from the compressor just to blow it through the spindle. Seems like such a crude method of cooling and I can't think that the air is going to always be cool, dry, and clean unless you go through great lengths to make it that way, which I do but would rather not.

The Robo-drills have faster spindles and they are grease packed, so it must work fine if designed properly. I think Haas either did not design it properly or left the burden on the customer to deal with the cooling solution. I better method would be self contained like circulating oil through a fan cooled cooler as you do on a racing engine.

Would it be possible to have my spindle replaced under warrantty for a greased packed version? 6k RPM is fine, usually never go over 3k.

makes me wonder how well they're sealed up against coolant, the air helps a lot in keeping that crap out of there.

I think the spindle is pressurized to keep coolant and contaminants out, It may even help with the oil distribution to the bearings. I doubt that the air is used for cooling, however it may help if you run your spindle wfo all the time.

Most lathes I know of are grease packed spindles and they are pressurized to keep crud out of the bearings.

From what I understand, the grease packed spindles use 3psi to keep dirt out. While the air/oil spindle uses 15-18psi -you can feel and hear a large volume of air blowing out around the seal.

SND, does your Sharp spindle consume air?

Back