What's new
What's new

2000 Bridgeport VMC 3020 retention studs?

Rytmad

Plastic
Hello all, new to the forum so if this would fit better in a different area let me know.

I purchased a 2000 VMC 3020 Bridgeport mill about a month ago, It's in the shop behind my house and I had a couple basic questions. Haven't been able to really fire it up yet as I am getting 3 phase power ran, but right now I have a small phase converter I have been running my smaller manual equipment off of.

My question is, this is my first CNC I've owned and I purchased it off eBay, supposedly it is a CAT 40 machine. I know they made theses with both cat40 and BT40 tool changers. Is there a way I can check by looking at the tool changer before I start buying tool holders? It does not say anywhere in the manuals.

I also am trying to figure out what retention studs these use assuming it is cat40. Seems like there is a lot of different style studs online.

Thanks for any help in advance!

The tool holder as I understand it is dictated by the plastic holders in the tool changer, however the spindle can use either cat 40 or BT40. I don't know which one my tool changer is set up for.

I have all the manuals for the machine except the Operators manual. Can't find it online, Hardinge is no help... If I had the manual I wouldn't be here looking for help.

The tool holder as I understand it is dictated by the plastic holders in the tool changer, however the spindle can use either cat 40 or BT40.

The taper is the same for NMTB, CAT, and BT.

You can't just change the "trays" and use a different toolholder. The V grooves between the CAT and BT are different. You'll have a crash and probably break something.

If I had the manual I wouldn't be here looking for help.

I don't know that. I'd swear that there are some members that can't read. I don't know how they post.
You might try the CNC section for a manual. Hardinge used to sell replacement copies of their manuals. They weren't cheap!
JR

The taper is the same for NMTB, CAT, and BT.

You can't just change the "trays" and use a different toolholder. The V grooves between the CAT and BT are different. You'll have a crash and probably break something.

I don't know that. I'd swear that there are some members that can't read. I don't know how they post.
You might try the CNC section for a manual. Hardinge used to sell replacement copies of their manuals. They weren't cheap!
JR

I have been keeping an eye out for an operators manual everywhere I can but haven't been able to find anything. Is there something on the machine I can measure to give a definitive answer on if the machine is actually CAT 40?

And If so I would assume Bridgeport was fairly consistent on the pull stud they used on their cat 40 CNCs? Whenever I look up pull studs they list all the other manufactures except Bridgeport.

Thanks for the help so far.

OK, the differences:

BP has metric threads in the end. CAT has UNC.
The center of the V is further away from the spindle on BT than on CAT. That's what will crash. Look again at the link in my first response.

Did you call Hardinge and ask for a price on a manual?
JR

For the manual, yes I called Hardinge and they said they don't have it. They gave me a couple leads to track down and they were all dead ends.

I know the VMC 3020s were sold both CAT40 and BT40, I thought the only difference was the carousel segments. In fact I can buy the segments still in either cat40 or bt40. By the looks of what your saying and the link you provided, you would also have to adjust the Z axis height during tool changes, however I have been told several times that the spindle itself will accept either holder.

I'm just trying to find out what carousel segments are in the machine so I can buy some holders, I have nothing but R8 tooling from my manual mill.

1.jpg
For the manual, yes I called Hardinge and they said they don't have it. They gave me a couple leads to track down and they were all dead ends.

I know the VMC 3020s were sold both CAT40 and BT40, I thought the only difference was the carousel segments. In fact I can buy the segments still in either cat40 or bt40. By the looks of what your saying and the link you provided, you would also have to adjust the Z axis height during tool changes, however I have been told several times that the spindle itself will accept either holder.

I'm just trying to find out what carousel segments are in the machine so I can buy some holders, I have nothing but R8 tooling from my manual mill.

Here is a picture of the carousel removed

OK, do you know who ran the machine last? If you bought from a dealer, have them track down the manual and find out what tooling was used.

If that machine was delivered in the US, you have about a 90% chance that it was CAT. Those inserts in the carousel don't change. The difference is where the chance arm leaves the tool in the spindle. You can check that with a scale.

I see that you've also posted in CNC zone for the same thing. You might send a PM to those on PM that own a machine like yours and ask for a manual and a pull stud. You should look at paying at least $100 for a manual copy.
JR

There is no drawing of the pull stud on the machine anywhere.

I purchased it from a very large well known business but there are so many hoops to jump through with them that I didn't get anywhere with them. I literally called and sent emails for 2 weeks and they sent me some service manuals and electrical schematics which are awesome to have, but no operators manual. Finally one of them reportedly talked to a machinist that said most of their older machines are CAT40 but they have been switching over to BT. Not really any help.

Talked with Maritool and they said most Bridgeports with CAT 40s use their PS-11123 retention stud, think i'll order a couple and a cat 40 holder and give it a shot.

Back