What's new
What's new

Advice needed - DSM speed indicator fix?

richard newman

Titanium
The speed indicator has never worked in my DSM-59 (bought used a few years ago). Took a closer look, seems like the indicator tip is stuck in the support tube of the control box. Wondering the best way to get it apart and sliding?

I tried removing the control box from the support tube, couldn't budge it. Same for removing the tube from the headstock. Thinking they might be rusted stuck from years of coolant. Kroil? Gentle heat?

Did you check to see if the lower end of the indicator rod is connected to the frame that holds the intermediate pulleys?

Also..., when taking anything Hardinge apart, always look for a second set screw under the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The support tube goes into the headstock 2.75” and a fair bit more than that into the control box. Mine sat in unheated storage for a few years in a damp climate and I didn’t have much trouble getting apart.
If it were mine though I’d start by disconnecting the lower end of the indicator and seeing if I could pull it out. You’ll have to be a bit of a contortionist to do that though... [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All fixed! I wasn't able to pull it out from below, but once I got the box off, a few taps on the indicator rip did the trick. Straightened out and cleaned the wire and all is well.

Thanks again Stradbash!

Back