What's new
What's new

Advise needed on Bridgeport Mill Electrics

zimbo

Aluminum
Hi there.

I have an Adock Shipley Bridge Port vertical mill I acquired recently and the electrics are in a shocking mess. The auto feeds have been disconnected in the main DB as well as at the motors on the X & Y. knobs and switches missing there too. I haven't found a wiring schematic for it and am watching how Marc UK is doing on his before I tackle this.

The drum switch is broken on the on position and one of the 4amp fuses keeps blowing, twice now after a few minutes on.

My thoughts are to scrap all the electrics and bring it into 2018 by installing new contactors and overloads to make it work as a manual machine 1st and then when I get time, will strip and clean the original X&Y motors.
Not even sure if the brown box, think its a transformer is working as well. The forward and reverse switch is working 100%.

So my questions are...
1) Do I do as above or keep the original contactors and find out what the issue is?
2) What are the small ceramic fuses protecting? They are 4 & 16 amps.
3) If I start from new with all new switch gear I assume its as simple as wiring a regular 3 phase motor? Does each direction have its own contactor and overload?

Would like to hear your guy's thoughts.
Included some pics. Sorry they are landscape view. Upload seems to change from portrait view.

BP contactor.jpgBP transformer1.jpg

Attachments

• BP elec box.jpg
    BP elec box.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 115
  • BP contactor.jpg
    BP contactor.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 122
Im not familiar with your machine, but every old machine I have bought with enough searching I have been able to find a manual, often on vintagemachinery or on scribd. If you have not already done it, take a meter to it disconnect power, and start testing resistance and ring out everything, make yourself a wiring diagram as you go. You will figure out were everything goes, if everything is in a closed or open state, and what those 2 fuses protect, most likely will figure out what is blowing the fuse as well. An hour or 2 with a meter can tell you alot in a machine like yours. I know I did not answer anything

Looking at the (small) pics, wiring does not seem to be too much of a mess, I've seen far worse. Figure out which contactors control which motors, and trace some wires to figure out how it is all working.

Somewhere on this website are posted the wiring diagrams for the Adcock & Shipley manufactured Bridgeport because I sent them to a gentleman in Austria - but I confess I do not know how to find them.
If these are of any use to you I can send them again but you will need to send me your email address via a PM
David Wright

Back