What's new
What's new

Another Bridgeport Lube Line Question- Pic

beeser

Cast Iron
The 2 lube lines to my Bridgeport mill screws bracket have a transition to a larger tube rather than using the 5/32" tube with brass insert. The larger tubes seem to be close to the same outside diameter as the hole in the bracket. Anyone see any problem with this setup or should I revert to the smaller tube and brass insert?

001.jpg

IMO if the larger dia hose stays put in the hole and is otherwise fully functional, then I'd just use that. As long as the oil is deposited where it needs to be, it'll be fine.

IMO if the larger dia hose stays put in the hole and is otherwise fully functional, then I'd just use that. As long as the oil is deposited where it needs to be, it'll be fine.

Just what I did and seem to get oil out of all outlets. It takes some doing to pull the tube out.

Someone must have pulled the tubes out and lost the tapered ferrules that lock them in, so this was their solution. There is no pressure to speak of on this side of the meter unit, so if they stay in the hole, and the transition doesn't leak, thy'll be fine.

Dennis

I've seen this before when they couldn't buy the 5/32 plastic tube locally and super glued the larger tube to replace the old one that breaks or gets short. As one of the others said the tube on that side of the meter unit (brass jet) on the manifold. I normally replace those metering units with new ones. They are difficult to clean and many think they are plugged when they are working. They meter out small amounts of oil each pump. If you pull the metering units note the numbers and where they come out, most are FBJ-1 or FJB 0 (Bijur numbers).

I normally replace those metering units with new ones. They are difficult to clean and many think they are plugged when they are working. They meter out small amounts of oil each pump. If you pull the metering units note the numbers and where they come out, most are FBJ-1 or FJB 0 (Bijur numbers).

Richard has a couple dyslexia swaps above. Plugged and working is one, and Bijur P/N the other.

I normally replace all metering units and repair or replace lines when working on lube system problems. To prove to the skeptical, that they should be replaced. With the manifold out, I install a new unit in the manifold and compare the amount of oil from a new unit with the old units. Usually the result is very obvious. and more than a few times, I am asked to do the same to all the mills.

If you are not replacing the repair, it is very important to insure that the transition does not leak. When it does, and the leak is (usually) lower than the hole in the machine. There is not enough oil in a lube cycle to fill the larger tube, the oil will siphon back to the leak and since there is a long time between lube cycles, the lube point runs dry.

The correct Bijur numbers are FJB-0 and FJB-1. http://www.bijurlubrication.com/bijurmeters.htm

Bill

The metering units are $7 each or so. I always replace them all. They can also get stuck open. That's almost as bad. The lube goes to the path of least resistance and skips the other circuits. It also losses its prime.

Opps..sorry I reversed letters. I would always install a pressure gage in the line after the pump as would set the red arrow on the pressure with new fitting and would apply a sticker on the knee next to the gage with the pressure when it was new. I think it was 20 PSI (been a few years) then told the machine owner if it went up the units are plugging and if it's less there is a leak. Many times those pot metal manifolds leaked and I would put Teflon tape or carefully paste on the units when installing new units.

The Bridgeport system isn't perfect with the pipes that syfon out, but it has worked for years one unteen hundreds that way. For those who are retro-fitting machines with a lube system, depending on how much money you have an auto lube pump is best. Also use an armor coated hose (spring) and mountthe pump lower then the fittings. If anyone needs advice on this or Rebuilding a Bridgeport please feel free to message me. H&W Machine parts and HQTinc.com have lube parts.pumps, advice and drawings for all the Bridgeport parts. Rich

Back