What's new
What's new

Which Bijur pump for 1971 Bridgeport?

Randalthor

Cast Iron
The mill has an old DropsA pump which needs repair, and parts are no longer available, so I've been looking at a Bijur pump. Here is a pic of the DropsA on the mill (minus the lube tank and actual pump mechanism)

KIMG0792[1].jpg

The problem is that I'm coming up with two different models of Bijur for a Bridgeport.

Here is one:

D3174C - Bijur L5P-R One Shot Lubrication Pump

But Hardinge sells this one as an OEM.

https://shophardinge.com/product.aspx?partNo=BP 11410324#MORE

I looked at the specs of both pumps and they both put out 75psi and both are 1-5cc shot.

Is there any advantage of one over the other?

I'm a little concerned the one with the lever will hit some hardware installed on the mill (when the knee travels upward).

Lastly, the one Hardinge shows has a splitter right on the pump itself. Any idea if that can be removed (since my mill already has the splitter attached to the knee)?

The picture on the H&W site is the Left hand version.
The lever points to the front on the R version and to the back on the L version.

The place yours is mounted is where the pump is normally placed. I moved mine (L5P-R) about a foot to the back and mounted it on the column out of the area where chips fall. It is connected with a nice loop of plastic line to allow the knee to go up and down.

If you get the unit from Hardinge, you will need a couple of Bijur plugs to plug the unused holes in the manifold attached to the pump. You need to find out if the manifold is inch (5/16-24) or metric (M8X1) threads.
Bijur markets a pump that looks like the Hardinge photo, the L5H-3 with inch threads. But they make a lot of custom units for the OEM's. It is best to verify the threads.

Bill

Just as a follow-up, I ended up ordering the pump from Hardinge. I called Bijur regarding the fittings required (Re: Bill mentioned above - SAE or metric). They didn't seem to know anything about it, and wanted over $300 for the same pump.

I suspect there is some metric to SAE adapter required. Hardinge recommends an adapter with the pump (which I also ordered) and the link JR posted on Ebay also shows an adapter included with that pump.

Back