What's new
What's new

Bizarro Step pulley

Mattyboy

Plastic
Adding to my queries from "head swapping" thread earlier today...

The newer J head (1.5hp motor) has a bizarro issue with the step pulleys. I ran the head to check it was ok before attempting to mount it on the older machine. Three of the four speed settings run fine but on the third pulley set down (speeds 420/3500 according to the speed info plate)the v belt is so loose its barely touching the pulleys.

I assumed the four steps are one unit machined from one lump of Aluminium, is this not the case?

Can I take the pulleys from the older head(1hp motor) and swap them or are they different sizes?

Thanks, Matt.

I'll grab pictures of the motor data plate from each motor and the speeds from the head. Maybe incorrect motor on the head? I have read that an overly powerful motor can put excess wear on bearings and such.

Not maybe, probably. Don't know where you read that, BS. BPs are not the most rigid machine out there. Most of the time, you have more HP than you need. If you try and push a BP too hard, it just might walk out the door.
JR

If one of the speeds is funky like that, the head was most likely run far more in that speed than in the other speeds and it is just that wore out.

Just out of pure dumb curiosity, you did push the motor back and tighten it after moving the belts right? That isnt meant as anything offensive, sometimes its the super easy stuff that gets overlooked.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

No offence taken Jon. Yes I checked the motor was pushed back as that was my first thought too. Then checked it on the other three pulley sets again to make sure I hadn't stretched the belt somehow, all worked fine.

Here's pictures of the motors.
Original "Pancake" 1hp and corralating speed sets
Newer head 1.5hp motor and speed chart
What do you think JR?

Attachments

• newer motor 2.jpg
    newer motor 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 119
  • newer motor 1.jpg
    newer motor 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 113
  • pancake motor 2.jpg
    pancake motor 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 89
  • pancake motor 1.jpg
    pancake motor 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 187
Unfortunately theres no budget for buying any replacement parts to rebuild. Thats why I was hoping to just swap heads as the other head was given to us by another department. May have to strip parts from both to build one goodun'.

Back