What's new
What's new

Boring Head Shank Replacement

RonRock

Aluminum
I have a Bridgeport No 2 Boring Head with a R8 shank that is not in the best condition. I have determined that the shank is threaded with 1 1/4"-20 male threads. From my search this seems to be an odball shank. There are a lot of the No2 Boring Heads out there, so there must be replacement shanks! Any suggestions where I can find one?

You may have to start with a Critrion style shank with 1 1/2 threads and machine it to fit your head.

See, I told you to get a Criterion :D

Common shanks are 7/8-20 and 1 1/2-18. Yes, BP is different, 5/8 something and 1 1/4-20.

You're going to hate to hear this, but you'll probably pay more money for the shank than you did for the head. Everede used to make the small ones, but that was years ago. Try Collis.

I'm going to guess that you won't find one. You can take an 1 1/2 shanks and machine to fit or machine the boring head to 1 1/2-18.
JR

Common shanks are 7/8-20 and 1 1/2-18. Yes, BP is different, 5/8 something and 1 1/4-20.

You're going to hate to hear this, but you'll probably pay more money for the shank than you did for the head. Everede used to make the small ones, but that was years ago. Try Collis.

I'm going to guess that you won't find one. You can take an 1 1/2 shanks and machine to fit or machine the boring head to 1 1/2-18.
JR

Modify the least expensive part.

JR

Actually I did listen to your previous advice. Thank you for that.

Now I have both.

The Criterion is in excellent condition. Although I do need a shank for it also. But that is easy.

The BP is usable in the condition it is in, but I'd like to make it better.

OK, I think that your only hope of buying a shank would be Collis or Kline. Both here in Iowa. Look around and see what you can find. You have to remember, BP quit making boring heads over 40 years ago.

I'd volunteer to machine a 1 1/2 shank down for you, but got more stuff to do than I have time. It would be at least a month and I don't know what kind of shape I'll be in. If it were mine, I'd strip it all down, bead blast, make the shank, black oxide the body and put back together. IOW, it would look like a new head. I can do all of that in my shop.

What's your budget? A new 3" head is north of $500!
JR

I'd just find a suitable R8 shank and weld it to the boring head. I've welded a couple so they could be ran in reverse.

So what if the shank is ugly, stone off the high spots and run it. With a single cutting edge it will always cut true anyway.

Yes I agree with this, that was my thoughts when I bought it. But it just isn't in my nature to leave something alone when it isn't in as good a condition as I can make it.

The reason I started the thread was because I figured that there must be someone out there making these shanks, I just hadn't found them. I know the BP Boring head is old, but there are a lot of them out there.

Starting to look like I will need to get a 1 1/2" shank and have the threads turned down to 1 1/4" as has been suggested. Or just leave it alone!

Back