What's new
What's new

BP jhead 1 hp vram 1956 question about the quill

zotdoc

Plastic
I have A Bridgeport jhead 1 hp with the vram, and I'm a hobbyist. Finally got the nerve to rebuild the head after reading a book, and finding the fine feed quit working. I have stripped the head down to the casing. 2 questions 1 the quill housing initially moved easy enough and I used a copper bar to tap it out from top down - (spindle bearings and quill removed) casing is now stuck just below the fine feed nut opening where I took the setscree out. What happened? 2. My motor works fine - but is covered with black gunk - will cleaning it be worthwhile. Thanks for any response

I have A Bridgeport jhead 1 hp with the vram, and I'm a hobbyist. Finally got the nerve to rebuild the head after reading a book, and finding the fine feed quit working. I have stripped the head down to the casing. 2 questions 1 the quill housing initially moved easy enough and I used a copper bar to tap it out from top down - (spindle bearings and quill removed) casing is now stuck just below the fine feed nut opening where I took the setscree out. What happened? 2. My motor works fine - but is covered with black gunk - will cleaning it be worthwhile. Thanks for any response

Two screws hold the quill skirt in place. Were these removed? The head on one of the screws has been modified so it has a low profile, it must be returned to it's original location during reassembly.

used a copper bar to tap it out from top down-casing is now stuck

Force is always a last resort.
Is the clock spring still engaged?
casing
Referring to the quill?
fine feed nut opening where I took the setscree out
What the what location are you talking about?
What happened?
Is the spur gear for the downfeed clear of the rack on the backside of the quill?
Fine particles and debris may be lodged between the quill and the bore.*
The quill clamp is loose, yes?
John

the fine feed quit working
My motor works fine - but is covered with black gunk - will cleaning it be worthwhile. Thanks for any response

Looking at this again. This is a lot like removing the engine to change a spark plug.
My suggestion is to try to get the head back together and then look at the feed problem. That might have been a simple fix.
Photos can be posted via "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments" then use the "Basic Uploader"

As long as the motor is getting air circulation it should be fine. Anything stiffer than a soft brush might damage the insulation on the coils.
John

I decided to fix the downfeed on the mill. Then I decided to take the head apart to clean it all up, fix anything broken etc. I wanted to see how the machine worked and was put together. The quil problem was taken care of by removing it from the top of the head. I did not find whatever was preventing the quill from coming out of the bottom.

Back