What's new
What's new

BP Series II Special - Power feed Dilema

thefeve

Plastic
Hey all,

So I'm trying to get an old series II special up and functioning. When I got it, the powerfeed was pretty much smoked. Being new to this stuff, I sent it back to a contact I had to refurbish, who decided it wasn't worth doing and sent me an import one for super cheap and kept the thing for parts.

As I've learned more, it's clearly not an easy swap/replacement for the series II specials and i'm in a bit of a pickle now. My machine had the 8F powerfeed on it. Replacement cost is very high... I know servo makes a kit with the feed but it's also around 1300$ from MSC. My budget is super tight and I can't quite afford that right now.

So my question to you all mainly is, Do you know if a 6F powerfeed would work on the series II special mills? My machine has the 11x58" bed on it, so it's rather massive. The guy that i sent my feed to, apparently doesn't have it anymore, so i can't even get the housing back to just run it manually, so i'm sorta screwed at the moment. He has a 6F that's working, but i'm trying to figure out if it'll work and haven't been able to find much information on it.

The other option, is to try and make and adapter to make this import feed work. I have the end of a series 1 table screw, that i think i could cut off and adapt to the screw on my machine, and could potentially get this import to work, but i'm concerned it will wear the the motor out and smoke it even if i do get it going.

I won't be using the powerfeed much at all, mainly just looking for the easiest way to get the table under manual controls again so I can use the mill.

Any help is much appreciated!

Matt

What was smoked about the 8F that you had? I've got an 8F on the BP that I recently purchased; I've gotten some good info from Jon at H&W on what I need to do to get it to work its best. Maybe you need to look at trading back ... ?

Get you 8F feed back and forget the "contact" you had.

It's a better feed than any of the imports and can be rebuild. If you don't abuse, it will last for a long, long time.
JR

I realized on re-reading the OP that he said the guy doesn't have the 8F any more. What did he do with it - sell it? Something about all of this is making me feel like something was not right with the"deal" you got from your contact ...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

To me it sounds like yours was in great condition and he swindled ya... But thats just purely a personal opinion.

That monster table on the Series II is a beast and the 8F was the best thing for it. The crappy part is you probably wont get any of your money back and will spend a small fortune getting a rebuilt 8F. Crappy part about when I rebuild an 8F or get a nasty one from a customer.. the circuit board is $240-$290 (depending on if it needs the conversion kit or not) and a new motor is &700 or something like that.

The main difference between the 6F and 8F is the cam shaft area,switches, possibly castings, and the circuit board. The motor and gears are all the same.

We sell our rebuilt 6F/8F feeds for $1500 because I have run out of used circuit boards and motors, so theyre much more expensive to rebuild.

If I can help at all, please let me know.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back