What's new
What's new

Bridgeport #2 boring head instructions

Havic9

Plastic
Does anyone have a link for a instruction manual on Bridgeport boring heads? I know how to use the head, but was wondering if it was recommended to tighten the single dovetail screw after adjusting the dial each time or? The Bridgeport only has the single screw. It doesn't have a gib with three screws like a Criterion or the Imports. Thanks

I can't imagine why you wouldn't tighten the clamping screw before boring. My basic process for adjusting and boring is adjust, tighten, measure, loosen, adjust, tighten, measure, etc. repeat as needed. I always just leave a little friction on the dovetail from the clamp when adjusting.

not good to leave clamped and then adjust cause often puts pressure on it and when unlocked it jumps in size. usually i put pressure on it with thumb to push smaller dia as i lock it. all boring heads have backlash. if you dont push on it as you tighten they can vary in size considerably.
also if you go smaller you adjust smaller more than needed and reverse and adjust bigger to take up the backlash

IMHO, BP boring heads are junk. I switched to Criterion 30 years ago for the "single screw" reason. Now, if you're set on having a BP head, set up in you mill and add 2 more screws.
JR

Many ways to skin a cat. I have a Bridgeport #1 boring head. I adjusted the tightening screw for moderate drag and never touched it again. I have another boring head I use almost all the time, but have used the #1 in the lathe occasionally as it has a 3/4 shank, not a #30 as the mills have.

Many ways to skin a cat. I have a Bridgeport #1 boring head. I adjusted the tightening screw for moderate drag and never touched it again. I have another boring head I use almost all the time, but have used the #1 in the lathe occasionally as it has a 3/4 shank, not a #30 as the mills have.
i often bore to .0001" tolerances. adjusting boring bar when clamp tight is rough on boring bar and often leaves a spot (or even damage screw threads)where when you adjust in the future it wants to go back to that spot or is unstable when fine adjuting. usually better loosen, push to smaller dia with thumb to takeup back lash and tighten clamp.
if you need to go smaller you have to overshoot and come back. always adjust in increasing size direction as backlash can easily effect bore size. got to watch over tightening. most boring heads do not like using too much force and of course size setting can vary by force used
then there is the -.005, -.001 to -.003 and final bore rule
-.005 get bulk of material out so further cuts cutting force is low
-.001 to -.003 cut is measure what size you get with cutting forces low and of course many material are unstable trying to cut less than .001 dia change
usually do this when got tight tolerances and it helps if boring bar not too long or going way to fast a rpm

Back