What's new
What's new

Bridgeport 2j head- how much does it weigh?

cwleveck

Plastic
Building a little contraption to remove and replace my 2j-head and I need to put an anchor in the ceiling....
Anybody know how much the head weighs? I'll probably double the weight capacity so it doesn't need to be exact but I am curious to know the approximate weight...
Thanks guys.
Did a couple searches. Got the weight of an m head, and a J head, but not the 2j-head....

So, first I need to rotate the SumBich back to vertical, that's why I wanted to know what the thing weighs.....
I turned a 1" bar and then had a crooked son of a biscuit bend me over to weld a thick steel plate nice and crooked for me almost perpendicular in a couple places to the now slightly banana'd steel bar that would no longer fit the way it used to into the extra long NMTB 30 end mill holder probably because it wasn't the same steel bar I turned down and it wasn't welded to the same plate, the perfectly flat one that is, with the perfectly placed and drilled hole in what I like to refer to as THE center....
And somehow the perfectly spaced what I like to call HOLES that would have allowed exactly the right placement of this what I used to refer to as a fixture for removing and tramming the head to be bolted down in the what I'd hoped would be the same perfect spot, dare I say indexable, really......
Ah holy hell some smelly old knuckle dragger FUBAR'd my PERFECT fixture of my imagination, turned the whole thing into a mockery, and laughed at me when I told him what I was going to do with it when what I should have done with it was waited in the parking lot until quiting time, snuck up behind him from the downwind, no, too risky, the UPWIND side and made him wear it as a HAT!!!!
Instead.... I cut the plate down to something I could swing on my lathe and turned the 1"+ (it grew) bar down until it was straight-ish, had to leave some material... Ended up fitting into a short 3/4 end mill holder and then took the bottom of the plate down about a half an inch before i could pretend and lie to myself that it was nearly perpendicular to something somewhere in my shop, but convinced myself that it was just to support the head long enough to replace the worm gear in the head tilt, why would you ever move it again, mechanism and now I dream of a time when I won't need it anymore and can wipe the DNA from its surface so I can make that silly hillbilly wear it as a HAT!
There is no moral to this story, so don't go looking for one, and you will NOT be disappointed..,
Thus endith the rant......
I think I feel better.
At least this will carry me over until I'm ready to exact my sweet sweet HAT revenge....

Back