What's new
What's new

Bridgeport 4HP Head value?

bsg

Titanium
Friend of mine just received two of these heads, we are trying to figure out a reasonable value in good shape?
Is there a market for these? It seems everyone wants the standard J head......

Any help would be appreciated!

Kevin

Friend of mine just received two of these heads, we are trying to figure out a reasonable value in good shape?
Is there a market for these? It seems everyone wants the standard J head......

Any help would be appreciated!

Kevin

Major question for those as have never seen or used such may be what spindle taper they carry (surely not the sorely HP-limited R8?), and how much they weigh.

Add-on head, the major market. Or so I'd guess.

I see 2 on Ebay. This one has an adaptor plate and looks it was on a multi head machine and would need some new parts.
VS head $700.00 Bridgeport 2-J milling machine head (R8 collet) | eBay

Then there is a new VS head $2750.00
NEW! GANESH 3HP VARIABLE SPEED MILL / MILLING SPINDLE HEAD REPLACEMENT 42-RPM | eBay'

I try to help the people asking questions with an answer and not some Giberish answer that makes no sense. I did a little research trying to help him get an answer so he knows a general idea of headstock value

I see 2 on Ebay. This one has an adaptor plate and looks it was on a multi head machine and would need some new parts.
VS head $700.00 Bridgeport 2-J milling machine head (R8 collet) | eBay

Then there is a new VS head $2750.00
NEW! GANESH 3HP VARIABLE SPEED MILL / MILLING SPINDLE HEAD REPLACEMENT 42-RPM | eBay

Not easy for an R8 to put to useful work all of even the sub 2 HP or early 2J's left by the time it gets from motor to spindle.

3 HP and up would want an NMTB / CAT / BT / or one of the still-available QC systems of similar pedigree.

If, for example, that were to be a 40-taper, AND a seeker had 40-Taper on a horizontal spindle, use as an add-on head could save quite a few bucks due to common toolholding, justify a bit more spend that otherwise supportable.

Sez he with a 40-taper H and #9 B&S V, even tho factory built as a combo mill, and with 40-taper an available Vertical spindle option when ordered new.

2CW

4 hp would be the series II head.Then, it just depends what the spindle is set-up for. IIRC, they were all 40 taper. Some had draw bars and some did not.
JR

4 hp would be the series II head.Then, it just depends what the spindle is set-up for. IIRC, they were all 40 taper. Some had draw bars and some did not.
JR

An "at large", not hard to mount, 4 HP BirdPort head with 40-taper?

Even *I* could learn to like that, what with over 5,000 lbs avoir of mill to hang it on.

Just not needed, nor in the budget, given it has two vertical heads already. The #9 B&S one it shipped with, plus a K&T universal, 40-taper, added by a PO.

The heads have 40 taper quick switch, no drawbar.
These were on a planer mill that was scrapped and were running when removed and saved for future use, now they need to go!
They do not have the quill power feed, just the manual handle for quill positioning.

Kevin

I looked at the heads today and took some pic's.
Both heads will accept a drawbar, one has quick change spindle missing the nut and the other one has the standard 40 taper with tapped holes for face mills.

The seller is asking $1000 each if anyone is interested?

Kevin1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

copy of my reply on another thread

OK, I looked at the pictures
One head is set up for a drawbar and one is quick change.
Both are missing the power feed and control box.
Somebody has turned the VS drive 90 deg on each head.

This is what the control box looks like http://www.parts-recycling.com/Comm...idgeport-4HP-3-axis-vertical-mill-photo-1.jpg

Note the feed control on the left side of the head: http://www.parts-recycling.com/Comm...idgeport-4HP-3-axis-vertical-mill-photo-3.jpg

Can they be used without, you bet. Does that effect price? Ditto!
JR

Back