What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Cherrying Head information

tfleming

Plastic
Does anyone have a working Bridgeport cherrying head, and if so, can you take a picture or two of the hand wheel off the machine? I just acquired a used cherrying head, but it is missing the hand wheel, and I can't seem to find used parts anywhere for it. I would like to get the dimensions and config so I can modify another hand wheel to fit it. any help would be appreciated

Thanks Comstockfriend, but alas I have already gone down that path. I have spoken to H&W, I have spoken to Hardringe, and 3-4 other sources for Bridgeport Series I machines......and found no joy :( Basically, I am looking for dimensions. I am going to buy a cast blank hand wheel from McMaster-Carr, and I would like to duplicate the original as best I can. I would like to see the notch configuration on the "drive" side of the hub. I would also like to get the OD of the wheel itself. Using pictures I have found, it appears that the wheel has the same size perspective as the pivot dial on the front of the machine. That would make it 8.5", which a 9" wheel would work just find. Hope this describes what I am looking for a bit better. :soapbox:

Thanks Dan, I thought about that, but the quill feed hand wheel is not large enough or stout enough for this application. On a cherrying head, that had wheel is actually the feed, and depending upon how much of a cut you are taking, you have to put a bit of torque on it. I'll give this thread a day or two, but I am probably going with a cast iron 9" wheel blank from McMaster-Carr. Again, this is just a query to see if I can get some pictures or dimensions from a "real" one. I do appreciate the post and comment.

Back