What's new
What's new

Bridgeport E Head Motor Information Request

ADV

Plastic
Hello, long time lurker here.

I am in the process of purchasing a Bridgeport mill for my home shop. The unit I am in the process of buying comes with a E "slotting" head. Unfortunately, the motor tag has been painted and cannot be read. Does anyone know what size (HP/amp) motor these typically come with? This is a 3 phase 220/440 unit. I will be putting together a cabinet with a VFD for the mill head but I am trying to decide if I should bother with adding a second VFD for the E head or just look for another motor.

The motor could be single or 3 phase. You never know if it came with the mill or was purchased at another time. Open the junction box on the motor (where the wire goes in) and count the number of MOTOR leads. If that number is 9, it's 3 phase. The motors are fractional HP.
JR

You can buy a VFD cheaper than a motor. Fraction HP VFD can be 110 to 220 3ph for about $100.
FM5-1P5-C

Why do you need a cabinet to mount stuff. Mine hangs on the back side of the mill. No fuss no muss.
JR

To be sure, go back to the machine with a small vial of lacquer thinner. Wipe of the paint on the motor tag. Should not damage the tag if it is anodized aluminium.

Back