What's new
What's new

Bridgeport feed motor. Help needed

ome.machining

Aluminum
Hi.

I bought a old Bridgeport, and bought it with a not working power feed motor.

I now took it apart, and hoped it was a problem I could fix.

Actually nothing seems to be broken or damaged, but I can't see how it works. It's like something are missing?
When the left/right handle are engaged into one of the directions, will it then be possible to hand crank it? I suppose not, but I can.

The shaft that go from motor/gear, are loose, and the small clutch aren't engaging. Like something are missing, something that pull it upwards?

I hope some of you maybe have a picture or a drawing of a similar model, so I can get an idea of the design.

If something are missing, would it be better to buy an China motor instead?
If, does this fit directly into the old mount?

Hope you can help me 😁

Best regards
Rasmus, Denmark

b0f711761b8e180fca0ba18c6356d151.jpg

f17def38eda532dd669ab3571c609dc6.jpg
c5aa95cda02db6aa17989b01ac4f3da2.jpg

Rasmus,

Answers to your question first then some comments

Hi.

I bought a old Bridgeport, and bought it with a not working power feed motor.

I now took it apart, and hoped it was a problem I could fix.

Actually nothing seems to be broken or damaged, but I can't see how it works. It's like something are missing?

Maybe - I can't see the linkage between the direction lever and the vertical shaft carrying the dog clucth in your pics look at this

its very similar to the Align and other far eastern units (they probably copied the BP one).

http://www.align.com.tw/ManuaLib/powerfeed/G00391A-200S.pdf

On the exploded diagram its part 34 on printed page No 8.

When the left/right handle are engaged into one of the directions, will it then be possible to hand crank it? I suppose not, but I can.

Certainly I cannot hand crank it when my Align unit is engaged.

The shaft that go from motor/gear, are loose, and the small clutch aren't engaging. Like something are missing, something that pull it upwards?

see above

I hope some of you maybe have a picture or a drawing of a similar model, so I can get an idea of the design.

See above

If something are missing, would it be better to buy an China motor instead?

Better ? maybe not as folk seem to think they are less durable but maybe quicker and cheaper. For home use probably fine

If, does this fit directly into the old mount?

Check with the supplier

As you already have a powerfeed I'd say yes but best to check with the seller - spend a few more Krone and buy it from someone reputable that can assist technically and also supply spares; I rebuilt an Align unit ( broken before I got the machine) with parts from the US but shipping etc made it close to buying a new one.

Does the motor run ? if not you may need a new PCB and its starting to look uneconomic.

Back