What's new
What's new

Bridgeport head serial numbers?

catch22

Aluminum
Does anyone know what serial number tells you the year of the head on a bridgeport series1 mill?
There is a plate on the side of the variable speed head that says DRIVE SERIAL# 2JB S2163
And on the front it has stamped JB35521 or JBB5521 im not sure if the third letter is a B or a 3. It is a 2hp variable speed head.

Thanks Mike

Does anyone know what serial number tells you the year of the head on a bridgeport series1 mill?
There is a plate on the side of the variable speed head that says DRIVE SERIAL# 2JB S2163
And on the front it has stamped JB35521 or JBB5521 im not sure if the third letter is a B or a 3. It is a 2hp variable speed head.

Thanks Mike
I have never seen such a listing telling when a head was manufactured.
The mill itself is well documented by the serial number list we all have seen. I would be interested to see such a list if one exist..........pg

We can all submit the head serial numbers (M and J) and the machine serial numbers and compile a list. Throw out the ones obvious out of sequence. If the machine has a good pedegree, like known to be the orginal head on the machine, It would give us an idea of their ages. Joe

Machine SN 12/BR 214985 - Mfd 1980 (on knee)
Drive SN - 2J-95080 (right side of head)
Front SN - J229423 (front of head)

2J Head with 2 HP motor

12/br 127363 on knee a 69 i think
j 130062 on stamped plate under bp also same # punched into casting to the left of power feed lever

I have a 1982 Bridgeport step pulley head. I just bought a variable speed head with the number on the head being 312112. I would love to know what year the head was made....Any ideas? Thank You

1976 model J head serial No's:
J-Head: 182838
Knee Mill: 175795

Machine age: *March-April, 1976

*I calculated the month based on an average of number of machines built per year (divided by 12) from the published manufacturing tables correlated with their serial nos. My month may be slightly off. Prod. yr. is correct.

Looks like this thread is getting old but I thought I would add mine anyway!
I just bought a
Knee BR162005 which should be 1974
From the front of the head J28549

Looks like this thread is getting old but I thought I would add mine anyway!
I just bought a
Knee BR162005 which should be 1974
From the front of the head J28549

Interesting coincidence, I recently moved to Wisconsin and just picked up( today) a '74 Bridgeport Knee 163109, J252979. Does your's have chrome ways?

Keyth

Machine SN 12/BR 114774 - Mfd 1968 (on knee)
2J Head SN - J116118 (casting, front of head)
Drive SN - 2J-5765 (Tag on quill feed side (left side/operator's right))
1.5HP motor

9x42 Table
Manual feed

Bridgeport tooling door on the right side (Operator's left) of the base's turret column.

Even Bridgeport never kept track of the SN on the heads. Thousands were sold loose and a bunch went on 2 or 3 headed tracers. Starting a registry like this is the only way to get some ideas of year of manufacture. And remember, swapping heads on machines is very common so a head or drive that looks out of sequence probably is. I've done it dozens of times per customer request.
Bill

Back