What's new
What's new

Bridgeport height?

ronlyke

Cast Iron
I have a Rockwell mill now, but I'm considering buying a Bridgeport if I can fit it in my
basement.
How much headroom do I need, and how far from the wall does it stick out?

Thanks,
Ron

How much headroom do I need, and how far from the wall does it stick out?
You need somewhere over 7 feet unless you never plan on removing the drawbar without leaning the head over.
It needs to be at least 2 foot from a wall at the back of the base. Here again, if you never move the ram in and out or swivel the turret, you don't need as much room.
I hope your basement is a walk-out, a BP is a bitch to take down stairs.
JR

Can you take the stairs out, and have a rigger/tow truck driver/whatever drop it into the pit? Then, just a straight run in. (In a perfect world, of course.)

The height on a Bridgeport will vary. Some of the older step drives with a pancake motor come in at ~~78”.
Having access with a Bilco type door could be quite handy.

It all depends on how motivated you are.

I know a guy that lowered a 1400 pound wood boiler into the basement with planks, wire rope, and a 6 month pregnant wife driving a 1973 Chevelle.

Attachments

• 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 795
You'll still need close to 7 ft if you want to tilt or nod the head. Then, there's the problem of getting the drawbar out.

I helped with taking BPs up the stair and down the stairs. Take it apart and it's not bad to move. Use an engine puller to take apart and put together. Easy Peasy.
JR

Consider a Cincinnati Toolmaster, a better machine, cheaper on the second hand market and collets are not as rare as people make out. No drawbar and the height comes in at about 72" I recall with nothing extra needed for a drawbar. I got one in through a bulkhead. Heavy though at 2000 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back