What's new
What's new

Quill Feed Trip Handle won't stay engaged

Littlegiant

Plastic
Hello,
I'm new to the forum.
I've researched various threads and have not found an answer to my particular issue. Apologies if I've missed information previously posted.
My machine is a mid 80's Taiwanese BP clone, 2J head.
My quill feed Trip Lever doesn't stay engaged when operating the power feed. When held in place manually the power feed seems to work as it should including disengaging at the quill stop.
When operating the lever I'm able to feel the subtle remnants of a detent as the lever moves back and forth. It's just not enough to hold it in place.
I've looked through various parts break downs including the Bridgeport 2J head refurbish manual which I purchased. It isn't obvious to me where to start troubleshooting this particular issue.
I would be grateful if someone with some experience in this area could offer a suggestion of what could be causing this issue and the likely remedy.
Thank you in advance, I appreciate your time.

The common reason for this problem, especially if everything works fine when held manually, is a general build up of crud, old oil varnish and other stuff preventing components moving freely over the correct range and often partially filling detent holes. Fix is easy, albeit tedious. Carefully strip everything out, including the tricky stuff in the microfeed trip assembly, give it a real good scrub, clean out all holes recesses and drillings then lubricate lightly and carefully put back together ensuring that everything moves nicely. Make a note on the calender and figure to do it again in five years although it will probably be OK for ten. Helps if you use power feed on a reasonably regular basis so things get to move around a bit before they get glued up.

If you are unlucky you may find a broken or damaged component during the job which will have to be replaced.

Clive

The adjustment for the feed trip is the long set screw and jam nut in the Feed Trip Lever. The Feed Trip Lever is in the slot in the lower part of the casting that supports the Micro-Screw Quill Stop. Loosen the jam nut and back out the set screw then engage the feed handle. With the quill down against the stop, slowly adjust the set screw until the feed trips and lock the jam nut. If it is set too light, the feed will trip when drilling.DSC03607.jpg

Don't forget, that feed is only rated for 3/8ths inch drilling into soft steel!

It's no powerhouse ;-)

Don't forget, that feed is only rated for 3/8ths inch drilling into soft steel!

It's no powerhouse ;-)

200 lb down pressure on the clutch setting according to the book.

With a machine of unknown history always do the clean up properly thing first before playing with adjustments. Covering one error with another tends to lock into a repeat at short intervals cycle and always ends in tears eventually. That trip is ticklish enough even when all is clean and well lubed. However if everything is working well it holds adjustment for years.

Clive

Back