What's new
What's new

Bridgeport horizontal milling arbor

ronlyke

Cast Iron
Regarding the horizontal milling arbor, driven by the right angle attachment, and supported by the support that clamps to the ram dovetail: Is this a generic arbor, or something unique to this setup? Does it have an R8 shank, or a straight shank which is mounted in a collet?
If generic, what do I look for?

Thanks
Ron

View attachment 217565 These are what your looking for,but sadly not for sale Dave [acme thread] The right side is an R-8 collet size, The other side fits into a brass collet in the arbor support. I think this is an older style. You may want to check with {SMALL TOOLS] in Cleveland oh. They may have some used ones. These are all marked BRIDGEPORT on the collet side.

...what do I look for?

Dave has told you where to look for the components.

The other thing you need to "look for" is seriously undemanding cutting with a seriously light touch and a VERY high "pucker factor" to intercept trouble before it tears the living shit out of everything.

Not Bee Pee specific, but, WHEN you add the R/A head to an already too-many-degrees of possible movement vertical mill, you are skating on thin ice.

The native horizontal mills such arbours were born on have waay more rigidity, and you'll be hard-pressed to get to even a fraction of that "goodness".

Be careful if you go this route. VERY careful.

The above mentioned pucker factor , Will be compounded when you see what these arbors sell for, I've got four different sizes, That means none of the cutters interchange.
Dave [acme thread]

OK, got it. Thanks for the heads up, guys. I have the rt angle attachment; I won't look for the support or arbor.

Probably handiest for getting at odd parts with endmills or drills.

If you NEED the whole-hog of horizontal capability, refurbing a Nichols or Diamond with sliding head, ELSE a Hardinge, Burke, or any of several similar is not terribly costly to do, nor to tool up. My Burke is on casters and takes up not a lot more space than a 5-drawer file cabinet.

Most of that lot will haul far larger endmills than a Birdport can do as well as use larger face, shell, and all other milling cutters better. Waay more rigid, plus more serious spindle power-transfer (#9 B&S, most commonly).

2CW

Back