What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Knee Mill Question!!

Slvtenn75

Plastic
This thread may have already been posted and if so sorry, but any how I got a mill that makes a high pitch whining sound and for the life of me I cant figure out where its coming from, but sometimes its quite then start when machine warms up some, does anyone have any suggestions of what this might be or someone that has had similar problems?

If you like to shuffle through all the guesses that come along, then fine.

A description of the machine, such as a vari-drive or whatever would be better. How do know it is not a rubber belt....

Yes it is a vari-drive machine and it is properly lubed on a reagular schedule. I am hope the bearings aren’t going bad. It makes the sound no matter what speed.

Does the noise happen when you shift from High and low range Or in neutral? Buy a auto Stethiscope and listen to the head. Like the others said...a bearing, but many bearings in the head are sealed and greasing them doesn't do anything.

FYI, a low rent stethoscope can be had by using a screw driver. Ear is against the handle end and tip on machine. Used it on engines all the time.

Just rebuilt my Bridgeport 1.5 v/s, had a bad knock. I think from research the early precision bearings were not permanently lubed or sealed bearings. If this is so then could be these bearings if never been gone through in the past. The high/low suggestion is a good one also. That’s direct drive (straight threw) verses through the back gear.

I'm going through that with my Alliant (bp clone) my variable speed plate and sliding housing that it sits on is ground down atleast a 1/4 inch. I started a thread asking if the Bridgeport parts are a direct swap, still waiting for an answer. It's a $100 difference in the slide housing along. I thought it was my bearings but they're all like brand new!

Back