What's new
What's new

Webb Mill (BP Clone) Back Gear Question

I don't know the Webb, but on a BP there is a detent to keep it in each of the settings - direct, neutral, back gear. It stays in neutral without having to hold onto the lever.

To use/keep the spindle in neutral, do you have to hang onto the high/neutral/low lever? Or, once in neutral, should it stay there?

Hello,
I have a Webb 4VH, the next to largest Webb Mill but the heads are all pretty much the same.

The high-neutral-low lever should stay in neutral when placed there. It's been several years since I refurbished my mill and I had all of of that section apart at that time so my memory is not all that good. I took a look in my Webb Operation and Parts Manual and there is a Hi-Low detent plunger underneath the handle. The Hi-Low Detent plunger (P/N 7066) is held in the Hi-Neutral-Low detent depressions by a spring (P/N 7067). It's possible that (1) your spring is missing, or (2) the detent plunger is dirty/rusty/corroded so that it won't move. The Hi and Low positions will operate and stop when the lever reaches the end of its travel even with the detent jammed up.

If you remove the handle to clean the unit or check to see if the spring is present, make sure not to push the shaft (Bull Gear Shaft Pinion, P/N 7059) into the head and lose it...I'm just saying.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Back