What's new
What's new

Bridgeport lubrication

wakrocket

Aluminum
My Bridgeport has a Bijur oiler .. The oiler is not working, the oiler works, in fact I have taken it apart, cleaned it, tried it out,
and it is just fine, but when back on the machine, no oil goes through the tubes.. Seems to be all clogged up.Maybe congealed grease?
Is there a good , but relatively easy solution to this problem?? Maybe kerosene through the tube system? Some other solvent?
I don't really want to take the whole machine apart and clean each and every little part... Rest of your life time operation.

Thanks

wak

I assume you see a good amount of oil coming from the splitter (the last easily accessible point before the tubing goes inside the mill body).

You may try pumping WD40 or transmission fluid using the oiler for a few days. Better yet, you can pump the stuff in using an oil gun. Sometimes it's possible to thread a wire through the tubing to unclog it . But, with all probability, you'll need to do it the hard way.

I have linked several pieces of information that I have put in other threads to make things easier to find in one place.

The best place to learn how these systems work is go the real source of info
located here: http://www.bijurdelimon.com/fileadm...ochures/258_SYS_Single-Line-Resistance_BR.pdf

You have a single line resistance system

Read pages 10 and 11

Page 6 fig 2.1 shows the metering units you have.

Pages 16 and 17 show how the system is constructed.

If it is still as clear as mud, the metering units (those little FJB-X things) are probably plugged, most are.
There are 2 located on the side of the knee, the hose goes up to the left side of the saddle under the table.
That manifold has 8 metering units, at the front end of that manifold is a plug that can be removed to insure that you have good oil flow up to that point.

Post #9 in this thread on the Monarch Forum shows the tools I use on these systems.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...g-upgrades-has-task-gotten-any-better-314397/
The cut open box wrench saw the most use, all the others were tried till I could hold the metering unit while loosening the nut. Frequently it is simpler to start at the end of the manifold and take one line apart , then the metering unit then move to the next line, till it is all apart.

More info on this thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-oil-tubes-can-someday-please-tell-me-334607/

This work was much harder than fixing a Bridgeport.
The B'port uses plastic lines, most I have worked on require that the table to be removed to properly clean and fix the system.
The drilled holes that feed oil to the table are usually plugged with dirt and chips and cannot be cleaned any other way than digging it out with the table off.

I cannot stress this enough: ALWAYS insure that all lube line connections are threaded on at least 3-4 turns before using wrenches. It is way too easy to think you have it started straight and cross thread things and mess up the manifold. They are Zinc and damage very easily.

Take photos or draw a sketch of how the lines are run, there are 2 sizes of metering units and the lines will only fit one way.

Bill

Just to add to what John and Bill said.

!. Don't run anything through the system but way lube. Other stuff doesn't always come out.
2. Sometimes, the metering valves can be clean in an ultra sonic cleaner. Maybe 50%
3. If the lines are dirty, replace them. They are the cheap part.
JR

Back