What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Lubrication Oil Gun

farrviewsouth

Plastic
I realize it is a basic question..but where can I purchase a oil gun which will fit the zerks on my ways. I have tried to search McMaster and MSC but I must be calling it the wrong name.

Never have seen the oil gun you are looking for. I found it easier and cheaper to go out an purchase a small hand held grease gun, pull the plunger assembly out of it, seal the resulting hole in the rear cap, fill it with oil and be on with my work.

The item#1879K48 in McMaster Carr if you are willing to pay for it. The problem for using the grease gun for oil is that you have to turn it up side down to apply. Iam thinking of getting the real one.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the help...Yup, at that price, I think I will use the first idea and see if that can do the trick for me.

Merry Christmas

Harbor Freight has a cheap air powered grease gun that looks like the handle can be turned around so that the cylinder will point up instead of down. i'm gonna try one of these when i get my bridgeport back together. they also have another gun that's a bit more expensive with a head that for sure swivels but it gives continous flow....don't know if that would be desireable for oiling...

dave

Barry Walker, owner of H&W Machine, sold me this for $25 bucks.

His number is 800-285-5271

Attachments

• lube.JPG
    lube.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 2,940
Have you used this yet for way oil in zerk fittings?

Product Description from Amazon.com
Versatile one-hand operation; Universal nozzle for standard grease fittings; Sealed design prevents leakage; Simply throw it away once empty; 3700 psi pressure capability; Delivers up to 2 oz of NLGI #2 grease; 6.3" long and weighs only 3.5 ounces

Steve.

Sealed design prevents leakage; Simply throw it away once empty; 3700 psi pressure capability; Delivers up to 2 oz of NLGI #2 grease; 6.3" long and weighs only 3.5 ounces
That's a grease gun... filled with grease.

The fittings on the Bridgeport are for oil, not grease.

- Leigh

We've got that part figured out. The thread is about how to squirt in the way lube without spending $70 for a specialized oil gun.

Steve.

Just FYI -- I bought one of the McMaster units last year some time, and it was only about $40 at that time. I had previously done one of the grease gun adaptations, but that didn't seem to work as well as "the real thing". The $70 number is surprising. Looks like maybe a market opportunity...

I managed to seal my grease gun so it doesn't leak but now am wondering about threading a tube from the pump at the top that would pickup oil at the bottom instead having to hold it upside down.

I just bought the oil gun from Mc Master. The design is very similar to the grease gun but with a tighter seal. There is still a spring mechanism to push the oil up to the pump chamber so you can use it right side up. The pump is made from Germany with expected quality. This may explain the price tag. It is also larger than the usual grease gun, and that is the smaller size of the two listed in Mc Master.

Oil Gun for Bridgeport

Recently I purchased an oil gun from MSC - yes it was expensive but I bought it during one of MSC's special sales that are frequently appearing these days. Moreover I used money from my year-end bonus (last I'll ever see in my working career) so the pain wasn't that bad.

The gun has a huge capacity for oil which I pumped into the fittings. I was shocked to see some thick gray stuff oozing out at the metal contact surfaces. Looks like the previous owner put grease into the fittings. Hopefully I cleaned all that old thicken grease out of the sliding surfaces.

Has anybody tried removing the zerks, making an adaptor to a standard pump oiler, & giving it a pump or two. A while back my one shot wasn't puting oil where it should, made up a fitting, blasted each line with an air over hyd. pump of a port-a-power unit. 2000 lbs. blew years of shit oil out, the table works as smooth as a "school moms leg".

Looks like the previous owner put grease into the fittings. Hopefully I cleaned all that old thicken grease out of the sliding surfaces.[/QUOTE]

This is my problem, the past owner told me he just put grease from a grease gun in. Will this come out?

grease

I had the same problem - had to disassemble. Used pipe cleaners, solvent, and air to clean the passageways and the ways - stuff was like hardened cement in spots. Was a bit time consuming but worth it, considering what I was able to learn about the machine while doing it.

Some before/after pics, it was worse than it looks in the before, I tossed a couple of pounds of old decrepit grease when all was done. Works smooth now - I believe the correct analogy is "like a school mom's leg" ??? , to coin a phrase....)

I've been considering installing steel auto brake lines and fittings and bolting a small reservoir to the side with a plunger/pump...kind of like the one shot system - but may need to try the grease gun mod as a start...

Attachments

• PICT0165_2.jpg
    PICT0165_2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,777
  • PICT0182_2.jpg
    PICT0182_2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,231
Thanks

I had the same problem - had to disassemble. Used pipe cleaners, solvent, and air to clean the passageways and the ways - stuff was like hardened cement in spots. Was a bit time consuming but worth it, considering what I was able to learn about the machine while doing it.

Some before/after pics, it was worse than it looks in the before, I tossed a couple of pounds of old decrepit grease when all was done. Works smooth now - I believe the correct analogy is "like a school mom's leg" ??? , to coin a phrase....)

I've been considering installing steel auto brake lines and fittings and bolting a small reservoir to the side with a plunger/pump...kind of like the one shot system - but may need to try the grease gun mod as a start...

I am not looking forward to this but was afraid it would come to this. What about the up and down slide did you do that also?
Steve

Back