What's new
What's new

bridgeport m head round turret lubrication

vdrum4250

Aluminum
i figured out how to oil the ways with the push and lube device from germany. using vatcra #2 way oil.

But how does one lubricat the m head?

what lubrications spots am i missing?

See the oil cup? Most use an ISO-32 AW hydraulic oil.
img5.gif

JR

thank you.. i found the hole, oiler is missing, guess the last guy never oiled it.. now its so quiet after i oiled t. but it seems like a bottomless pit, no iedea where all the oil goes that i put in today.. do you think i could repalce oiler conatiner with plastic funnnel? or is that a sealed container of somesort?

We had one of those heads on a tracer mill back in the 70's that went through oil like crazy. It also rattled pretty bad. We would put way lube down the draw bar to quiet it down and that would work for a short time. The oiler cup had to be filled every few hours of use to prevent the bearings from getting hot. That tracer mill would run 10 hrs a day so we went through a lot of oil.

It helps to just get in the habit of adding a squirt of oil at the beginning of every day or shift. Doing it when you are done will just leave a puddle under the head in the morning.

Oil running through it is not a bad thing though. It's taking dirt and other unwanted particles with it out of the head.

It helps to just get in the habit of adding a squirt of oil at the beginning of every day or shift. Doing it when you are done will just leave a puddle under the head in the morning.

Oil running through it is not a bad thing though. It's taking dirt and other unwanted particles with it out of the head.
Thank you. I bought an oiler. Did T come with internal tube or wick material. Press fitted brass tube inside and used rope for wick. Still flows. Pretty fast. But slower than without wick or tube...
bbd8050ba3a6994a4877f14a28e5fa63.jpg

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately you bought the wrong one. It should ideally look like this:

oil_cup2.JPG

Is a standard off-the-shelf, I think this was mcmaster carr.

Be sure to lubricate the drive splines. Use a thicker oil such as way oil, and it will stop the obnoxious clanking.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back