What's new
What's new

Bridgeport mill on timber floor

RyanStephen

Plastic
Hi

Im looking to buy a bridgeport BRJ series 1 and have some space in a shed. Im concerned about the weight of the thing. The floor is 4x2 bearers with 12" spacings, on top of that is 19mm thick tongue and groove. The shed sits on reinforced concrete. I raise the question as you see these mills all the time sat on wooden pallets. If i lay down some timbers underneath where the bearers lay to add some further support and put pieces on the top of the floor and then put the mill on top of that will it be ok?

Cheers

A good friend of mine has a home shop that is about 20 x 40 ft. and is on a raised wood floor. For his lathe and mill he has put concrete piers under the floor where they sit and they also sit on top of 1/2" steel plate. The steel plate is about 2 ft. larger in length and width than the footprint of each machine. It has been this way for about 30 years so I guess it's working, because he's able to produce some pretty nice work.

Ted

It sounds like what Ryan is talking about is 2x4's laying directly on a concrete slab, with flooring over them, a so called "easy walking" floor. If this is the case, it will be fine. After all you can set a Bridgeport on two 2x4's with no problem. I know, I had one on a similar floor for a couple years.Bigger issue will be moving it into position... if on skates or pipe rollers, if all the rollers are mid-span, the flooring might sag or break. If you can roll it in the direction where the pipes cross some of the 2x4 "sleepers", it's not a problem.

Dennis

Back