What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Quill Lock Bolt Diameter/Length?

WJ Birmingham

Cast Iron
Hey guys, I just picked up a Webb Champ 3VH mill.

The prior owner has butchered the quill lock handle. Saw a YouTube video of someone reversing the quill lock direction so the quill lock doesn't vibrate downwards, and the quill lock sleeves look identical to mine.

Webb still makes the quill lock bolt for mine, but they are really proud of it at $65.00. I'm thinking a Bridgeport may work just fine.

The bolt I have is 2.858" long from the end of the threads to the bottom of the flange. Threads are 5/16-18.

Think a Bridgeport Quill lock work based on overall length to the shoulder and thread diameter?

Hey guys, I just picked up a Webb Champ 3VH mill.

The prior owner has butchered the quill lock handle. Saw a YouTube video of someone reversing the quill lock direction so the quill lock doesn't vibrate downwards, and the quill lock sleeves look identical to mine.

Webb still makes the quill lock bolt for mine, but they are really proud of it at $65.00. I'm thinking a Bridgeport may work just fine.

The bolt I have is 2.858" long from the end of the threads to the bottom of the flange. Threads are 5/16-18.

Think a Bridgeport Quill lock work based on overall length to the shoulder and thread diameter?

All you need to do to hold the quill lock lever in place is to counterbore the holes in the pinch blocks deep enough to put a nice stiff compression spring between them with the lock bolt through the center. the spring pushes the pinch blocks apart and the tension holds the lock lever up. Works a treat, I did my B P 25 years ago.

All you need to do to hold the quill lock lever in place is to counterbore the holes in the pinch blocks deep enough to put a nice stiff compression spring between them with the lock bolt through the center. the spring pushes the pinch blocks apart and the tension holds the lock lever up. Works a treat, I did my B P 25 years ago.

Mine has a stiff compression spring. My bolt is messed up thanks to the prior owner. The plastic handle is gone and was replaced with a pair of vice grips.

I'd like to replace with a BP bolt/handle if possible. Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original post.

Back