What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Repair in Ft Worth TX

redgtsviper

Plastic
I am looking for someone to fix the broken bib on my Bridgeport. Is there anyone in the Fort Worth Texas area that works on these.

Charles

To get the terminology correct, there is no fixing of a broken gib. Only replacement. That requires scraping to fit.

The first question that I have to ask is; what's your budget for this?
It won't be cheap.

Is this the knee gib mentioned in the other post?

Can you do the tear down on mill?
The table and saddle will probably need to be removed to get the fit correct on the knee.

Is the mill worth spending that kind of money on?
It's doubtful that someone will come to your shop to do this, they will want the mill and knee.

The only place that I know of in the DFW area is Apollo. Home - Apollo Machine Tool Services, Inc.
The next closest would probably be Daniluk in OKC. Machine Tool Rebuilding, Retrofits, CNC, Grinding - Daniluk Corp

Just a guess on my part, but replacing that gib is going to be over $1K if you have somebody do it.

"Broke" is not much of a description. When words fail use a photo.
I'll 'assume' (hate that word) that the head of the gib where the adjuster holds the
gib on location has snapped off or threads in the knee are stripped.
***Is the gib stuck in the knee or has it been removed?
New gibs that I have purchased have extra thickness and length, they have to be machined to proper fit.
Here are a couple of photos showing a new gib and a simple fixture.
Gib Fixture 002 (Small).jpgGib Fixture 001 (Small).jpg
A pattern of drilled and tapped holes are put in the gib. Then it is secured to the fixture.
The gib is held flat and straight and can be machined to suit.
New and used gibs cannot be counted on to be flat. Two gibs placed back to front might have consistant width, but that does not mean they will be straight. The fixture is a piece of hot-rolled that has been ground flat and square. A hole pattern to accomadate was added afterwards.

It is possible to remove and replace a knee gib without removing the table and saddle. The table must have the center of mass over the saddle. The saddle needs to be located towards the column till all the weight 'balances' over the knee elevating screw.
The hard part is removing contamination from the knee ways.

Try this company :
H&W - Parts for Bridgeport Mills, New & Used Machinery, DRO's, Power Feeds
Ask for Barry, plead ignorance and ask for help. I would ask if he could premachine a gib to nominal dimensions 'as new.'
John

Back