What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Rotary Table Rust removal question

Twistedfab13

Plastic
I just picked up 12” Bridgeport Rotary Table and it looked great on the outside but wasn’t moving well. So I started to take it apart and found everything was rusted. No oil was in there. I figured on using evapo-rust for pretty much the whole thing. My question is the roller bearing on the main shaft. Can it be submerged in the evapo-rust. The roller bearing itself isn’t rusty but the shaft above and below is. I don’t really want to remove the bearing. So do you th8nk evapo-rust will hurt the bearing?

Not sure if your main shaft is pitted or just has surface rust. If surface rust, I'd cover up the bearing, chuck the shaft up in the lathe and clean it up with emery cloth. Careful in any area that's a seal surface or whatever.

Not sure if your main shaft is pitted or just has surface rust. If surface rust, I'd cover up the bearing, chuck the shaft up in the lathe and clean it up with emery cloth. Careful in any area that's a seal surface or whatever.

The main shaft has some surface rust in the threads. I have it upside down in evapo-rust. It is not touching the bearing but I wouldn’t think that it would harm it anyway. It’s an oiled bearing not greased. And even if it was greased I can degrease it. Or am I just missing something?

Back