What's new
What's new

Bridgeport series 2 special - needs some love

thefeve

Plastic
Hey all,

I'm an engineer/bike designer and have recently been upscaling my shop from a bench mill to some real machines. Through a series of random events have landed on some older but solid machines and I'm looking for some help from those in the know! I have a BP series 2 special, and a hendey 14x6 lathe. I'll make a separate post on the lathe:)

For the BP! It has a few quirks I'm trying to understand and fix.
1. Power feed. The power feed only works in one direction... I'll attach a video. Looking for suggestions on what i need to do to fix it, or if it’s easiest/cheaper to replace it? Basically the motor sounds like it's having some issues, but will engage traveling to the right. When i flip to the other side, the motor just shuts down/off.
Flickr: Page Not Found

2. Travel crank - looks like the spring that holds that pushes the spindle crank in/out has come out - assuming i can just pup the handle off and rest it. Also think I’d like to just have it permanently engaged, so going to look into that.

3. quill handle - for some reason a previous owner put a fixed handle on it and wrote "do not remove handle" on the side. I'd like to get back to a classic style resetting type handle - assuming i can just order a new one to replace it? Any thoughts?

4. Y travel cover dislodged. See pic - seems like a cover is dislodged on the travel so it's preventing the mill from traveling out all the way. Any suggestions on how this is fixed (if it's not clear, I’m new to his machine, or full size mills in general).
https://flic.kr/p/TKTUAK

Anyway - thanks for any and all help or feedback. Another big question is if anyone has a suggested place to purchase new parts for a machine like this. I got it pretty dang cheap (straight trade for my mini mill) so i'm okay putting SOME money into it to get 'er running again. Just can't dump too much at it.

Thanks!

Back