What's new
What's new

Bridgeport table removal

A quick Google search yielded this... Hope it helps ;-)

Bridgeport Mill Teardown Part 2 - YouTube

I just skimmed the video, so I may have missed it, but one thing I'd add to what I saw - before sliding the table to one side or the other, loosening (at least) or removing the gib will make it easier to move - also much easier to put the table back on if the gib is out.

His forklift (Bobcat) technique had me more than a little nervous. I would not use something that bouncy for holding the table when it comes off. What I did on mine recently was to position two sturdy saw horses next to the mill, move the table over the saw horses, then use the knee to lower the table until the saw horses took up the weight. Then slide the table off onto the saw horses.

Remove leadscrew brackets, loosen gib and slide it out. I slid mine onto a rolling tool cart and got it off by myself. It's best to remove the leadscrew, because in case the table falls it's one less thing to fix.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Remove leadscrew brackets, loosen gib and slide it out. I slid mine onto a rolling tool cart and got it off by myself. It's best to remove the leadscrew, because in case the table falls it's one less thing to fix.

That's what I did, but I took the gib out all the way. I did mine with the DRO scale still attached (Mitutoyo). If there is ever a next time, the scale is coming off first (didn't damage it, but though I did once or twice!). Works with any tool cart, crank table to the correct height and slide it off.

John

I used my engine hoist, with 2 eye bolts bolted into table slots. Lifted till just enough tension to start coming up, then slid it off. Just reversed to install. A lift table is the best method I've seen but I don't have one

If you happen to be a motorcyclist like me and also happen to have the ubiquitous Harbor Freight $300 hydraulic motorcycle stand/platform, you can use that as the hydraulic lift table to hold the table as it slides off and back on. That's what I did and it worked great. And as someone said earlier, if the mill table does have a DRO glass scale on it, make sure you remove that before attempting anything. A lot of glass scales have been destroyed by attempting to remove the table with it still installed. Easy enough to unbolt and remove the scale before sliding the table off. And considering the cost of a replacement slide (assuming you can still get one), you'll be glad you did.

Back