What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Upgrades

Rick_B

Stainless
Now that I am getting close on the X axis power feed install I started thinking about what else would be "nice to haves". I'm looking for suggestions/ideas based on a hobbiest shop and a guy who doesn't use a Bridgeport 8 hours a day and 5 days a week. Following are the things I am considering (in the order I think they would be the best bang for the buck). The blank spots are indication that I currently think the last two would not be a good investment. Feel free to add improvements I have not thought about or to change the order.

1. 2 axis (X and Y) DRO
2. Y axis power feed
3, More convenient control box location
7. One shot oiler
8. Z axis power feed

Thanks for your thoughts

Rick

Don't use the word 'hobbyist', lest you be jumped all over. Although owning a BP might mitigate that, a bit...

Anyhow, your future plans look pretty good to me, assuming you already have a good, solid vise, and all other needed tooling and setup gear.

Power drawbar, adapter for drill motor to raise and lower knee, table covers to make cleaning faster, quill dro, quick move stop for quill, that's about all I can think of. I don't even own a Bridgeport I've just used a bunch.

Don't use the word 'hobbyist', lest you be jumped all over. Although owning a BP might mitigate that, a bit...

Anyhow, your future plans look pretty good to me, assuming you already have a good, solid vise, and all other needed tooling and setup gear.

I do have a Kurt 6" vise. As far as tooling - I think I have a pretty good complement but I'm sure there are other things that will pop up. My view on tooling/set up stuff is to get it when the need crops up.

Rick

Power drawbar, adapter for drill motor to raise and lower knee, table covers to make cleaning faster, quill dro, quick move stop for quill, that's about all I can think of. I don't even own a Bridgeport I've just used a bunch.

I forgot to mention I do have a knee adapter for a drill and some shop made table covers. I hadn't thought about the other items you mentioned - but I think they would go on the last somewhere after #1 and 2?

Rick

Move 8 to 2 if you have a bad back/shoulder,and need to move the knee much. Had one of those drill adapters gave it away,more trouble than it was worth to me.

Move 8 to 2 if you have a bad back/shoulder,and need to move the knee much. Had one of those drill adapters gave it away,more trouble than it was worth to me.

I have one of the Z axis drill adapters and it has saved me countless hours cranking the knee up and down. Probably the best thirty bucks I have spent for my shop. What didn't you like about it?

Hello Rick,
I agree with wawoodman: Stop even thinking of yourself as a hobbyist. You have a professional grade tool. I was a research scientist, and whenever I got a student, I would tell them that from the day they walked into my lab to think of themselves as professionals, even though they had only the vaguest idea what that meant. It made them OWN their work and also took things to a different level in terms of intensity, commitment, and the onus to really LEARN stuff. When I was a wee young lad and made my first appearance in the university machine shop, the head machinist there had an almost identical conversation with me. I took him seriously, and the machinists I worked with for 45 years after that always were very kind to me and taught me things for my entire career, probably because they could tell that I really WANTED to learn, and was willing to pay the price for the education. So no more "hobbyist" crap, ok? You are now a professional in training, just like the rest of us.

Now with respect to the Bridgeport:
I would recommend putting the Bijur system at the top of the list. A well lubed mill is a happy mill. I always recommend H&W (H&W Machine Repair & Rebuilding - Parts and Service for the Metalworking Industry) for all things Bridgeport. Great folks, always helpful.

Get a manual for the mill. Ozark Woodworking amongst other places sells them. A service manual and parts diagram/list can also be very useful. Call H&W with the serial number and the model and they probably can point you to the right info.

Second I would put the Z axis feed. Get a real one, such as a servo. I am too clapped out to grind that heavy knee up and down all the time, but youngsters seem to enjoy the exercise. Personally, the drill type would not work for me, but many people like them. My opinion is that a Y axis power feed is pretty useless on a Bridgeport.

I would put a DRO at near the top of the list. maybe ahead of the Z axis power feed. I have a Newall DP1200 DRO on my mill, and another Newall on the lathe. Both installed by me. I HIGHLY recommend the Newall, as it is easy to install, VERY robust, accurate, very visible, good interface, and if you spend the extra for a high end one like the DP1200, there are many valuable functions. In any case, assuming you have an older mill, the backlash will make doing precision work a pain in the ass, although it CAN be done. My mill is overdue for a new X axis split nut, and has horrible backlash, but with the DRO and attention, I can usually hold around +/-0.001" if I want to. Even on simple jobs, where precision is "not necessary" the DRO will be an enormous help. The DRO is NOT the place to save a few bucks. It will, in all likelihood, be on the mill many, many years from now, and the leverage that a good one gives you over that time is HUGELY more valuable than the few bucks you might save on a cheap one. You will grow into it if it is a good one, rather than quickly outgrow it if it is very basic. Plus a good one makes using the tool a real pleasure. Opinions differ of course, as to which is best. Do you feel lucky, punk? well, DO you?

Next, get a bunch of R8 collets. If you look on EBAY you can get good used QUALITY collets such as Hardinge. New import collets are cheap, but in my experience, often are just crap. Then make a board to store them with dedicated tools you will use all the time, such as an edgefinder (get a Starrett, not an import), a selection of end mills (I use roughers a lot, so some of them live in dedicated collets), Drill chuck (best if with an integral R8), Boring head, and so on.

Soon, if you do a lot of work, and are decrepit like I am, your shoulders will insist that you get a power drawbar. I have a Maxi TorqueRite, and it is a lifesaver.

Get several good stops to allow easy removal and replacement of parts in the vise. The one on the Kurt is good, but not enough for all applications. There are lots of different varieties. Check Google images to get some ideas.

You will want some replacement jaws for the Kurt. I have a variety, but the ones with ground precision V grooves for holding round stock vertically or horizontally are really useful. Again, EBAY. There is a vendor that makes them that sells on EBAY.

You WILL need parallels, both thin and thick (1/4", 1/8"). Also a clamping kit for working off the table, A good dial indicator on a swing arm for tramming the mill, a fine precision DTI (0.0005" resolution) for indicating in parts, An Indicol or similar tool for holding the precision DTI into the spindle for indicating diameters, etc.

Eventually, you will want some precision V blocks, angle plate set, perhaps a sine bar.

A really useful thing to have is a variety of flat tooling plates which you can mount in your chuck. These are flat and square (thick aluminum) with a grid of tapped holes (1/2"-13 and 1/4"-20) that you can use with clamp screws and hold downs to hold odd parts. You can build this yourself. Be sure to tram the mill VERY well before you flycut or otherwise mill the surface. As the saying goes "the evil that men do lives after them, the good is often interred with their bones". hahaha. Ask me how I know about THIS one...

Finally, EBAY really IS your friend. You can get amazingly good deals on tools, tooling, and so on. Things like a spacer or rotary table, chucks, blocks, angle plates, and so on are often found at very affordable prices. There is a lot of used, but very usable old precision iron for manual machining out there, often at great prices.

Anyway, good luck with it. Be careful, don't climb mill steel (!!!), wear glasses, and don't forget to boogie!

All the best,
Michael

Move 7 to #1, 1 to 2 and forget the rest until you use the machine and make some chips.

I've been running a BP for over 50 years now. I'm a hobbyist also since I'm retired. I'm not saying that you don't need any of that stuff, but for the most part, it's just fluff. Do you have a rotary table? How about a dividing head? What do you have for endmills and cutters. If I had an extra $1K, it wouldn't be spent on my mill.

Here's my power knee: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...mills-and-lathes/poor-mans-power-knee-116302/

IMHO, unless you make a living running a machine, you are indeed a hobbyist. Running a machine everyday with deadlines to meet is different that running for fun. Knowing that screwing up an expensive part could cost you a job, or having nothing to do will get you laid off. You don't have many pressures running a machine at home. Most guys wash out in a job shop, they just can't handle the pressure.

BTW, the switch is there for a reason, it's near the brake.
JR

List looks good, old arthritis guy here really appreciates
a quality Z drive:

Eventually, a rotary table was needed.
Discovered that there is no substitute for a quality dividing head.
(I wasted my $$ on a cheap one = effective door stop.)
setup_zpsruc2qzo4.jpg

I think you've gotten some pretty good suggestions here. I think the one-shot lube system would be money well spent. Consistent lubrication of all critical components is really important and it's easy to get lazy if you have to regularly lube each point individually. Also, if your machine does not already have them, I believe an important addition is to install chip covers at the front and back of the Y axis to protect the ways. This is very inexpensive and easy to install. The neoprene rubber ones work well. Along this same line, make sure your felt way wipers are in good condition. Again, they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

I don't know how important the power draw bar and power knee lift are to you, but if you have the same issues that I and some others here have with old, worn out joints, they are indispensable to me. Being cheap and just liking to make stuff, I made my own power knee lift. I got a gearhead motor on eBay along with some of the other hardware and I've got less than $100 invested in it. Works very well. Here's some pictures if you're interested in doing something similar.

DSCN0861_01.jpgDSCN0869_01.jpgDSCN0871_01.jpg

Ted

I have one of the Z axis drill adapters and it has saved me countless hours cranking the knee up and down. Probably the best thirty bucks I have spent for my shop. What didn't you like about it?

Spent more time changing drill batteries if I was doing lots of Z moves on a job. Also made my wrist ache from drill torque [left wrist has issues]I made mine so 0 cost.I do some jobs that require 6" + of Z movement,not to mention I also have a bad back.

Back