What's new
What's new

Brought home a 1984 Hardinge DSM A today.

rabidchimp

Aluminum
The machine had been sitting for twelve or so years, replaced by CNC equipment. It was at a high end automotive chassis fabrication company, and for sale for a killer price on Craigslist. The literature that came with the machine shows that it was purchased new by an outfit in Issaquah, WA. From there, looks like it went to auction, then was purchased by the chassis fab company. Only issue with the machine is that all of the components for the bar feeder are not there. An excellent, original copy of the maintenance manual came with the machine, as did a quotation pamphlet from Hardinge, along with a couple of supplements to the Operator and Maintenance manuals. Loading was easy, forklift and overhead crane. A boom truck will offload at my residence, followed by a 16 x 72 40s era South Bend. I hope these two new-to-me machines get along with my '78 Hardinge HC. My little 3.0 V6 Toyota truck didn't like pulling the load down a 50 mph hiway, so surface streets were my route home. I have a TON of ground to cover before I can put this machine to use, but I'm looking forward to it! My Ozark Woodworker reproduction operator's manual should be here in two days.

WP_20140625_004.jpgWP_20140625_002.jpgWP_20140625_001.jpgWP_20140625_006.jpg

Last edited:
I have a lot of experience with those. My last two employers each had one at one time. There is a lot that can go wrong with them and they were a headache to keep running, lots of wires, so they ended up just sitting. Good luck, I think you will need it.

I see that you're new to the forum. Welcome!

On Practical machinist, it's frowned upon to open old posts without adding anything worth while. This was a 4 year old post and the OP has not had any activity in 2 years. If you need or want something, ask for it in a new thread. Most of the time, you'll get plenty of help here.
JR

I was around PM before JR was :) and disagree with him in principle.
It is a heck of a lot easier to search for information on a subject if it is a continuing thread, rather than 3 dozen isolated snippets with various titles.

That said, in practice some posts are more worth reviving than others....

:D

smt

In principle, I don't mind a neco-post if they add something or at least ask a relevent question.
In practice, most of the time the responders don't bother to look at the date of the original and that a new question was asked and just respont to the OP.
You started before me and I can say that you'll be here after me.
But my daddy could beat your daddy up easy :D
JR

In principle, I don't mind a neco-post if they add something or at least ask a relevent question.
In practice, most of the time the responders don't bother to look at the date of the original and that a new question was asked and just respont to the OP.
You started before me and I can say that you'll be here after me.
But my daddy could beat your daddy up easy :D
JR

Wind your time-machine back to "Big Bang" week. Find the "daddy" who most matters to PM personally demo-ing / touting the fact that a thread could be added to long after a prior post.

That said, the problem IS klewlessness as to the relevance or such easily as often as the time gap, so .... find one earlier today where I advised a necro-poster much as you hold (five year stale quality reputation of various major makers of chucks).

FWIW-even-less.. when seeking parts or an entire machine ONE holder, not a "committee", held at the time, a direct PM to said (one-time) holder is waaay more appropriate.

If "No Joy", THEN a "wanted.." posting to the PM world at large.

etc...

Back